Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Island Lighting - need layout advice

Posted by annab6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 16:06

We remodeled the kitchen and it is time to finally get the island lighting done. But having made several lighting mistakes during the remodel project, I am afraid to get this one completely wrong and ruin my new gorgeous kitchen!
Please help!

The island is 8 feet long and asimmetrical.
Here is a rough sketch:

Photobucket

The width ranges from 45" to 51"
There is a prep sink

We have 5" recessed lights in the isles but nothing above the island. Our contractor ran a wire in the ceiling above it but made no openings so we can pretty much choose any configuration.

I am thinking of pendant lights following the curve and one above the sink. However, that may leave the prep area to the right of the sink without much light so I am not sure. People in lighting stores suggested just three pendants along the center ignoring the curve.

What would you guys suggest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Island Lighting - need layout advice

Your photobucket link isn't working for me. That said though, I was reading that if you need task lighting, find the square footage of that specific area and multiply it by 2.5. So if it's about 8'x4' (averaging 45-51" depth) that's 32sf so you would need 80 watts to fill that space with task lighting. By that theory, two 40 watt pendants would work, or you could do 3 (one over the sink and two others closer to the corners of the island).

o

Do you like monorail track light? The flexible kind could be curved to complement your island shape. You could use regular heads over the prep area and hanging pendants over the seating area. Most mini-pendants can be adapted to work with track.

Here is a link that might be useful: an example of a product from a quick google search

o

I have a large asymmetrical island that snakes through my kitchen. My cooktop is in it as well as two very large prep areas & a raised bar area that runs the entire length. It is approx 136" x 42" wide (including the raised bar). I have 3 pendants over it. They are halogen 60 watts. They are positioned in the center of the 42 width, so you don't throw a shadow on your work surface when you are working or seated at the bar. They work great for me. It looks good & most importantly, they are dimmable. Opt for a higher wattage light with a bulb that is dimmable. You'll like that feature. As I've aged, I seem to need brighter light to work with, but it's still nice to have the dim feature for mood light. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here