Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with position of recessed lighting

Posted by orangeskies (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 15:42

Hi -
We're are currently remodeling our kitchen and are tying to decide on recessed lighting placement. I've attached a pic of our layout. The recessed lighting will be the only lighting in the kitchen area (shown) with the exception of the hood light and some undercabinet lighting. There will also be pendants over the breakfast bar area that extends into the dining room but we only plan on using those when we're actually at the bar.

Can anyone make suggestions on the can placement? Do we have enough lights?

We want the cans all on one dimmable switch. Also, we are planning on going with 6" housing and are considering the Cree CR6s based on recommendations here, but don't live anywhere near a Home Depot. Are they really worth ordering online?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with position of recessed lighting

The following link has more details and contains a link to a site to mockup light placement.

Here is a link that might be useful: recessed lighting guide

o

Thanks David. Your previous link is mainly the link that I used to come up with what I've got (thanks for that super helpful post) and from that link I had calculated that I am a little short on lumens. I already knew this but was trying to make it work I guess with just 6 cans.

Seems like we'll need to go with 8. Unfortunately, we only have room for 1 switch. Ideally, it seems like the middle two should be on a switch of their own to give me more options. Do you think all of them on 1 dimmable switch is too much? It would be a lot of extra work to get them on two switches.

o

There should not be any issues with the dimmer. Each CR6 /RT6 consumes <10 watts max (assuming the lower power version). The high output version of the CR6 takes about 12.5W. The total power consumption is < 80 W to ~ 100 W (high output cersion of the CR6).

The center pair won't be illuminating counter space and wouldn't be that important.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here