Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to put a lampshade on this floor lamp

Posted by karinl (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 14:39

I got this lamp for free so didn't ask too many questions - turned wood lamps are a weakness of mine. But now that I have it, I cannot figure out how to attach a lampshade to it barring detaching the socket and reattaching it. But the wiring appears to be in good condition, possibly even new, so I'm hoping to avoid that. Besides, it would be nice to have a method that allows occasional lampshade change without rewiring.

The picture shows just the top part, but it is a floor lamp. And yes, it's gathering dust while I try to figure out whether it has a future as a lamp or only as a coat rack...

Any advice would be welcome!

Karin L

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to put a lampshade on this floor lamp

Get a socket with a threaded collar at the bulb and screw the shade onto that.

Most come with a swivel joint to aim the lamp, but need a through hole to secure them to the lamp arm.

o

Ah... like the ones at the link below? Once you know what to look for...

I think I've seen some shades that might fit that, with sort of a recessed ring fitting, but I didn't think they had a thread.

Thanks, Brickeeye.

Karin L

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique lamp supply threaded socket

o

That would be them.

You do have to be careful about using the lamp shade to try and adjust the angle of the socket though.

The shallow short threads and large lever arm can make the threaded portion pop of the thin metal of the socket.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here