Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need track/pendant lighting over huge island, suggestions? PICS

Posted by try_hard (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 16, 08 at 13:53

I have a flat kitchen island that measures 4 feet by 9 feet. The sink is in the island. We use the countertop on either side of the sink for food prep. The other side of the island is a breakfast bar with 3 barstools, where we eat breakfast and dinner.

I have shopped exhaustively for a light fixture to go over this island and have not found one that I love. They are either too small or not bright enough or the wrong style for my house. I keep coming back to the idea of track lighting with multiple pendants shining light on the breakfast bar side of the island and the sink/workspace side of the island. I want alot of light here - the intensity and quality of task lighting, really. We would like to put a dimmer on the light so that we can turn it up when prepping food or reading a magazine on the counter and turn it down when we don't need as much light.

I've seen examples of track pendants that have a curved rail on the ceiling and some with straight tracks/rails. Most of them are more contemporary in appearance than I need.

Does anyone have any suggestions of lights to consider or photos that could provide inspiration?

For your reference, I have included photos of my kitchen. You will notice some track pendants above the island - they are a disaster. They are from Pottery Barn and broke as they were being installed and don't give off enough light. That is the fixture I'm trying to replace.

Photobucket

Photobucket

My kitchen table light fixture:

Photobucket

Thank you!
Try_Hard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need track/pendant lighting over huge island, suggestions? PI

Hi Try_Hard,

Here is a picture of our island track lighting. We had an awful time trying to find a light due to the light not being centered either the long way or the width way. Our kitchen is not modern at all but the track lighting fits in, in my opinion.

Our kitchen makeover was in progress in these pics.

Hope this helps.
Cathrugg

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Try Hard,
Can't answer your question, but was wondering what wall color and type floors you have in this area, particularly the dining area. I think they are both just what I'm looking for! Thanks!!

o

We did not intend to go really modern, but we went with a Hubbardton Forge fixture. The problem is, that collectively we hated every pendant out there. I would think one was "ok" and the husband would hate it, and vice versa.

We both really liked this one, it went well with our home, and in the end, though it seems modern, it goes with our style.

We chose:

You can find pics of our kitchen and our giant island (Over 50 square feet of granite in the island alone) here..http://mobilecad.smugmug.com/gallery/4396388_PN5KC#P-1-15

Hubbardton Forge does have lots of other options that are not modern as they do all hand forged steel and iron items.

Laney

Here is a link that might be useful: Hubbardton Forge

o

Have you looked at the pendant lighting from Alluminare? They have a large selection of shapes and sizes and you get to design the color/pattern/fabric yourself.

Beautiful kitchen, by the way!

Here is a link that might be useful: Alluminare

o

Try hard, where did you purchase the chandelier over your kitchen table. I love it.

o

We used hanging pendants made by Roost. They only sell to wholesalers who then retail them. We bought ours locally, via our builder, from a design center so got a deal.

Don't know hwat you can find in your area, but I have provided an online link below. We also used the Edison-reproduction, multi-filament bulbs they show in the pic. They are about 11 bucks each w/ shipping, but look waaaaaaay cool, esp. when dimmed, and provide all the light you need when at full power. If you go that way, order some spares. We have not had a burnout in 4 years, but we do not use them daily.

Also, we did not want a track sitting across our ceiling to steal the eye away from the task lighting hanging below.

Close-up of pendant:
http://www.velocityartanddesign.com/details.php?classid=2575&productid=20072&defval=images_products/20072-Cylinder_det.jpg&title=

Edison bulb:
http://www.antiquelampsupply.com/product/3690

This isn't the greatest pic, but will give you and idea what they look like on our large island. There is seating for 3 on the right side of the L.

lighting

Here is a link that might be useful: Roost retailer link

o

Try_hard: I have almost the exact same setting as you do. Same chairs, large island (12 X 3) and the exact same chandelier - My main dining area is open to the great room just like yours and I am trying to find the 'right' pendant. Can you show me/tell me what you decided on? My general contractor is bugging me to pick something out so the electrician can hang it!

I'd appreciate any info...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here