Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower Light: 4" IC rated. Please, suggest

Posted by elk2000 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 13:10

We are remodeling small bathroom and are replacing tub with shower, 36" x 60". We plan to install 2 shower lights at 2 opposite sides. The bathroom is on the 2nd floor, with insulated ceiling so the lights must be either IC rated or have an insulated housing box.
I really like something like Eurofase TH-P08-02, but it would require Eurofase VHG-4I01-00 4-Inch Insulated Ceiling Housing Box. The problem is that it looks like this box is only for new construction, am I correct? Or we should be able to install it for remodeling as well?
We wouldn't want to go over 4", and it's impossible to find any recessed lights that size that are IC rated.
Can you please suggest any models?
Do we have to stop looking for 4" and go for 5" or 6"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower Light: 4" IC rated. Please, suggest

I really like the looks of this Halo 4" shower light i saw at Home Depot. It's available with a white/satin or dark bronze trim ring and has a clear prismatic glass lens that lets alot of light through and disperses it well without leaving too much glare. The trim is quite deep, includes a reflector for stardard shape (A19) light bulbs, and is IC rated. Not sure which housing works with it, haven't looked it up, but they probably have a remodeler kit available - but are any remodeler housings IC rated? If not, you may need to cut out a square of drywall between the ceiling joists, install a new-construction IC housing, and replace and refinish the drywall panel (now with a round cutout for the lamp). This trim also should work great with LED light bulbs designed to retrofit incandescent fixtures - these are available for $10-$12 and many of them are "snow cones" that send all their light out from the top of the bulb - perfect since the bulb faces downward in this fixture. You do need to verify that the bulb you want to use doesn't have a warning on it that it can't be used in completely enclosed fixtures though. I think this bulb sold at HD for $9.97 (under their EcoSmart brand) doesn't have such a warning; at least it doesn't in the online specs). CFLs and halogens are also options with this fixture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Halo 4

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here