Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding light inside tubular skylight. Seen it?

Posted by mudworm (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 13:06

We are remodeling our galley kitchen, one end of which is away from windows. If I put a regular 10" tubular skylight there, I'll need a ceiling light right next to it, which will look crowded since this galley kitchen is pretty narrow. I was thinking about putting an LED light inside the tube (kit can be found online).

However, I've only found one mention of such setup (on GW) where the OP was asking how to change it because it was "ugly". No more details were given in the thread.

Has anyone seen such a setup? How does it look? At night, will the light be as effective as other downlights?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding light inside tubular skylight. Seen it?

During the day, you will have an extremely bright 10" light. The light will progressively become dimmer and yellower as the sun sets.

The efficacy compared with other down lights is affected by the lens, the light source and its position within the tube.

o

We have a Solatube in our downstairs bath. It has a light inside it. It gives off plenty of light at night with the light on. At first I had an incandescent lamp in there, but I switched to a florescent and I still like the look of it and the light it puts out.

With the sola tube, you can chose from several diffent lenses, and we got the fancy one that kinda throws light in every direction, so choosing the lens as well as the bulb type, I would think it would be plenty of light at night.

Have had the Sola tube for probably 5 years or so, absolutely luv it. Bathroom is nice and cheerful, day or night and I'm amazed at how low the Sun gets and yet still an adequate amount of light.

HTH's

Gary

o

Thanks for the input.

Gary, I'm happy to hear your positive experience with the tubular skylight as well as the light inside. I just picked up a 10" ODL Tubular Skylight Kit from HD. It comes with "dual lens diffuser" whatever that means, and I hope it's bright enough. If not, they sell a clear prismatic diffuser, which might be brighter since it's so expensive!

I read that Solatube is a good name brand. But I hope the cheaper ODL will work just as well. I was glad to find that HD (online) also carry a light kit for it (much cheaper than the kit I found online earlier).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here