Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen lighting design for dummies

Posted by red_eared_slider86 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 11:42

Is there such a resource? Because I desperately need it!

Demolition is complete, and they were floating walls yesterday. The electrician installed the wiring for under- and over-cabinet lighting, but I have little clue as to how to proceed from here. Is there a good website out there that will guide me to the right kind of fixtures for me? DH is freaking out over the cost of the remodel (I'm not, and I'm the one who pays the bills... but I digress...) SO I want to go with lighting that is relatively inexpensive.

Can anyone recommend something?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen lighting design for dummies

If your electrician installed line voltage wiring (120V AC) for the under and over cabinet lighting, then low voltage lighting is largely ruled out. Ask your electrician.

If you want inexpensive UCL (under cabinet lighting), go with fluorescent.

o

If he did install 120V AC, can't he just come back and install a transformer(s)? Just wondering.

How does fluorescent stack up against xenon?

And somewhere on here, I saw a thread that detailed how to choose the right (fluorescent, I think) bulb for the amount of light you want/color of light. Something about some numbers printed on the bulb itself?

o

Low voltage lighting will need to have separate low voltage wiring from the transformer to the lights.

Fluorescent has lower power consumption and heat output. Some people may complain about the cri color rendition index, humming (magnetic ballast).

o
UCL Fluorescent

The light will most likely be T4 or T5 tubes.The light will have a rating in kelvin which defines the color.
2700 - 3000k warm white
~4000k - cool white
~6000k - daylight

Most people will want something between 2700 - 4000 (warm - cool white).
Visit your local lighting store to see the which you'll prefer.

o

Excellent! Thank you!

o

Another thing
most UCL fluorescent lighting is not dimmable.

If dimming is required, you'd need to get the appropriate dimmable electronic ballast (or dimmable UCL fluorescent fixture) and electronic dimming switch.

I looked into dimmable electonic ballasts a couple years ago and could not find suitably priced ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here