Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

How to create ambient lighting in kitchen?

annab6
15 years ago

I have asked questions on this forum previously about my kitchen but still looking for ideas, specifically for the ambient lighting.

Background:

We are going to have an L-shape kitchen with no windows (open to family room and living room) so the actual kitchen area is naturally dark. DH doesn't want painted cabinets, so we are going with stained which is not helping either.

Still, a bright cheerful kitchen with lighting that imitates daylight (or an option do to that during the day) is extremely important to me. We had a dark kitchen previously and there is no way I want to repeat that same situation.

Recessed lights and undercabinet lights will provide the lighting for the horizontal surfaces but, unless we supplement with something else, our ceiling and our cabinets will be in the shade (especially with cabinets being stained wood, not white). We have a room where we are using only recessed lights and I hate the way the ceiling looks so dark when the lights are on.

Our ceilings are 8' high, cabinet moulding is going all the way to the ceiling because we need to hide ductwork and a vent pipe behind the molding. So no opportunity for lighting above cabinets.

I am looking for options to remedy this problem.

Unfortunately, I am not getting any help from my contractor or KD. The kitchen designer is saying the electrician should be able to figure it out, but our GC is also our electrician and therefore he can install the fixtures but he is not a lighting designer.

Any ideas would be greately appreciated

Comments (3)