Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matildajane_gw

Bronze sconces

matildajane
11 years ago

I'm redoing my den (potential formal dining room) and need to replace four old, tarnished, shiny brass Williamsburg sconces. The house has a lot of bronze finish right now and I'm considering this sconce. It projects only 4" from the wall which makes sense in my narrow (10' x 19') room. My goal is to install sconces that will have wide appeal, especially when it comes time to sell. Opinions?

Comments (10)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

These are lovely sconces, but quite traditional. They may not appeal to a buyer more interested in a different style.
    The original sconces: Are they a simpler style? Could you clean them, spray-paint them in a bronze finish, and re-use them?

• matildajane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Chibimimi! You've told me what I already suspected. I just needed to hear it from someone else. My current sconces are a chintzy version of what follows. The finish is tarnished and black in many places. I appreciate the suggestion of painting them, but sanding brass for painting can be toxic and I'm not sure I'd like them if painted.

• matildajane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've also considered these sconces along with a ceiling fixture from the same family. In my humble opinion, these fixtures would benefit from more delicate (possibly flared, linen) shade to bring some delicacy to my diningroom/den. These lights are large: ~16" high, 7" projection and 6" wide with 60 watts per sconce so I don't think the room needs double sconces.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

The second sconce you showed is more adaptable to different styles. You should be able to find something very similar in a smaller size -- check LightingUniverse.com or LightingByGregory.com.

• matildajane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After tediously browsing dozens of vendor and decor sites (Houzz), I remain confused about what falls under "transitional" lighting. Edwardian, Colonial and Modern lights are listed as transitional by most vendors (including Gregory and Lighting Universe). I thought that category was reserved for straighter, more non-niche (newer look) designs? I hoped to avoid excessive curlicues in my lighting scheme, but such designs are plentiful in transitional category according to sellers. I like this Tofino light but it appears modern to me (classified as transitional by sellers). The chandeliers in the Tofino family are downright funky (way out of the box for me). Maybe that's what I need.

• matildajane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can visualize the Hammond in my four sconce room. It's a 60 watt fixture with a low profile and enough height that it would appear more than a Dot on my 19' wall. The style doesn't match my definition of transitional but, as I've said, that term is used so loosely.

• matildajane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now this is what I think of as "transitional" lighting. It's a good looking sconce IMHO that would work well with a broad range of styles and the family offers a bunch of nice ceiling fixtures. Unfortunately the light projects 8" from the wall. That would be downright dangerous in a room where furniture might not be placed in front of the lights. My true favorite lighting finish these days is pewter or brushed nickel, but that's not a good companion finish for adjacent rooms.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Of all of these, I like the ones in your third picture -- the one after your current bright brass sconces -- best They have the least pronounced style and are simpler than the others. I can see them in a colonial or craftsman or cottage or contemporary interior, which is not true of the others.

• matildajane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your advice. Would you be willing to accept my old brass sconces as a gift of appreciation? (Smiles!)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Thanks for your very kind offer, but I'm afraid I already have quite a collection of old light fixtures awaiting rehab and re-use! ;-)