Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janeway452

Can lights: can I just replace incandescent with LED bulbs?

janeway452
9 years ago

Can I just replace incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs in my kitchen recessed can lights? When searching for new trim rings for my existing can lights I saw reference to "replacement" LED can lights. Why would I go to that great expense (the can lights work fine) when equivalent screw in LED bulbs are available? I thought I'd ask just in case I'm missing something important. Wouldn't be the first!

BTW, I've actually already done this and so far, no smoke and flames that I can see and they seem to be working fine. Ended up with soft white after experiencing the "operating room effect" of the daylight LEDs. Loved the light, but just too bright white--walked in the first morning and thought, "I feel like I'm in an operating room!" Also they were too different from existing CFL ceiling light and fluorescent over the sink light.

Comments (7)

• David
    9 years ago

Lamps like the CR6 come with an integrated trim ring.

The can itself is not replaced when either the CR6 or a A19 /PAR or BR light is used

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

The replacements look very high end compared to screwing in a light bulb. I don't know how bright the light bulbs are but the Ecosmart Cree LED replacements (also screw in) are about 50 percent brighter than my equivalent incandescents, glad that I added a dimmer. The 2700k is a lovely warm color.

I had a mix of fluorescent, incandescent, and warm LED for a while in adjacent rooms. It didn't bother me but my sister and son, both photographers, complained a lot about it since the colors were all slightly different. I finally have everything changed over to 2700k LED (replacements) and am very happy about it.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Why not try just one to see how you like the results? If not good, the investment is minimal. If good, proceed with haste. Should you decide to do them all, buy one extra LED lamp as they too can fail prematurely.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When I returned the "daylight" LED bulbs to Home Depot, I then ordered the 65 watt equivalent 2700k soft white. It was a very good deal $50 for 6 (I needed 6). The color matches closely, can't really tell any difference to my other CFL and fluorescent fixtures in the room--it really was noticeably different. The initial cost very reasonable and the cost savings a great incentive. I know they are brighter than my 65 watt incandescents, but I can't really tell. At least I had a chance to try out the much brighter and whiter "daylight" LEDs, but they just wouldn't work for me. I found out later that Home Depot had an in store comparison display set up, but I think you almost have to experience them in real life.

So, it was really simple to just unscrew the incandescent bulbs and then screw in the LEDs. If it had been necessary to put in new LED specific can lights it would not have been worth it.

• mattandrews
    9 years ago

you might be interested to visit this link http://bit.ly/ZXxt1P to check out the comparison chart about light bulbs.

• mattpete
    9 years ago

Yes, you can just put a led bulb in. There are numerous manufactors with quality bulbs (BR30, BR40, Par30, & Par38) available at Lowes and Home Depot (Phillips, Sylvania, Feit (Utilitech), and Lighting Science (Ecosmart).

I would stay away from CREE Cr6 (they are so 2013) because they require you to replace the trim, and if you are replacing your incadescents as they burn out, you'll have mismatched trim. Also, the Cr6 are not particularly bright, and most of the brands named above have screw-in BR30 and BR40 that are substantially brighter. I also didn't mention the CREE Br30, as their stand-alone bulbs tend to have substantial flicker.

• aturovidal88
    9 years ago

Yes, you can just put a led bulb in. There are numerous manufactors with quality bulbs

If you are finding the best solar powered lights for your home, view this website and read quality reviews about Solar Flood Lights

This post was edited by aturovidal88 on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 2:20