Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Porch light .. Dusk to Dawn not working

Posted by deb963 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 8:40

I need some help with my Outdoor porch light dusk to dawn sensor is not functioning... The light stays on but not turning on at night or turning off at morning.. It has worked before but now just gave out.... What do i need to check or buy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Porch light .. Dusk to Dawn not working

The glass/plastic that covers the light sensor on the front of an outdoor light can become so dirty that the sensor can't distinguish light from dark. If you unscrew that disc and gently clean it (no harsh chemicals!), you stand a strong chance that the light will again work as it should. If it doesn't, it's possible the sensor has gone bad although that isn't likely. Good luck!

o

Is this located on the inside or outside plastic youre talking about? If it is the sensor, is on the inside.. Please Help.. Im green to this...lol..

o

The light sensor is usually located on the front of the light housing between two lights or underneath (or on top of) a single light. The sensor is covered by a round quarter-sized disc. The disc usually has a rough edge to facilitate unscrewing (lefty=loosie, righty=tighty). I didn't shut off the electricity to remove the clear plastic/glass disc, cleaning it and replacing it. If your light doesn't conform to this description, then submit a photo if you can. Alternatively, you might want to web browse the manufacturer's site for instructions.

o

Are you sure no one double-flicked the light switch inside? This is only if you have the kind of lighting that goes to automatic when you turn it on once, but to "permanent on" when you turn it on, off, on quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here