Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UL vs not UL

Posted by indecisive101 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 15, 09 at 8:14

I am buying a pendant light from Rejuvenation Hardware (not Restoration Hardware) and they give options for the cord for the light. Two are not UL and one is UL. My gut tells me I want the UL, but the cords for the not UL look much better. I am sorry if this has been covered before, I did a search and did not find my answer. Any help is appreciated before I order. Of course safety is my number one concern over the look of the light.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UL vs not UL

Hi

I would always stick with UL. Liability is a concern for insurance purposes.

Kind Regards

Mat

o
RE: UL vs not UL

Always go for the UL rating. It is a guarantee that the item in question meets or exceeds current US electrical testing and is safe to operate in the way it was meant to be used.

Any piece of electrical equipment that is NOT UL listed, you use at your own risk. There have been a few items from China that carried a fake UL listing that I know of, one of them being GFCI receptacles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here