Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with number, spacing, placement recessed LED lights

Posted by gwnovice (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 17, 08 at 2:55

We are redoing our kitchen and have had wildly differing recommendations for the number of recessed lights to be installed. We need to be Title 24 compliant, so we will be using the 6" Cree LED lights (LR6). Our kitchen is roughly 11 by 15 feet with 24 inch deep base cabinets and 12 inch wall cabinets. We also plan to have fluorescent undercabinet lights. We don't want to have the kitchen too bright like aussies did.

I would like to hear your recommendations regarding the number, spacing, as well as the placement of the LR6 recessed lights.

Thanks in advance! Here is a rough drawing:

kit schematic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with number, spacing, placement recessed LED lights

I forgot to add that the ceiling is 9 feet.

o

How bout a real stretched out "stop sign" design with 10 lights total. 6 in middle with 2 flanking each end...

o

To get an idea of how bright the lights are, I replaced the 2 existing recessed can incandescent bulbs with the GU-24 Cree LR-6 lights. The output is pleasant, but not overwhelming. We'll see how the kitchen looks after the fluorescent tubes are removed and the LR-6s are installed in their final configuration (still TBD)--we're thinking of just putting in 6 (3 on one wall, 2 on the other, 1 in the middle. The existing cans will be replaced by pendants.

o

I have four running around the corner of an 11 x 7 L-shaped array of cabinets with eight foot ceilings. I didn't bother with a dimmer, because I have been led to believe they just don't work yet. I don't find the light glaring or too bright. The electrician thought it would be and I was afraid after Aussie's experience. Overall, I am very happy.

I don't have a pic to share, but if you want me to post one, I will take a pic when I am at the house again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here