Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wait: why do the UCL's have to be dimmable?

Posted by aliris19 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 1:55

Is this a subjective thing? Why do UCLs have to be dimmable? Wouldn't it depend on the specifics of your kitchen, e.g., countertop color, type of ambient and task lighting? Overall brightness? Work surfaces?

That is, I'm thinking I can get away without dimmers because I will have good overhead light, and really only UCLs in three places. When they might be used it would be to boost brightness to max; I'm not sure why I'd want UCL's anything less than max: that's their purpose in this context at least? Most of my prep doesn't happen in the vicinity of UCLs anyway.

I do have low-light night-light type lighting possibility on the hood which has instead of heat lamps, some low-Watt CFLs.

I guess another function is to illuminate the backsplash, but there again I should think you'd want to maximize light.

I remember reading someone explaining why they wanted dimmable UCLs but I'm wondering whether under these circumstances it might make sense to skip it. I think that person liked to have dim "mood" lighting, if you will, while not cooking. If that's not a goal, is it agreed that dimming might be expendable?

Also, dimming could be added later if it turns out life is about to cease without it, right?

TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wait: why do the UCL's have to be dimmable?

UCL = undertheupperCabinet Lighting (?)
UCL = under-Wall-Cabinet Lighting (?)
This might be a standard term for kitchen designers.

I have thin tube fluorescent T5 that shine down and also up into the wall cabinets (through a frosted glass bottom in the wall cabinet). No dimmers. I turn them on when I want an operating room laboratory.

If you have LED lights, get a dimmer.

o

Dimming is useful by allowing you to set the output depending on need - full brightness for cooking, prep, cleanup, ...
Medium/ Low when the space is not fully utilized, but one may make unscheduled visits to pick up/ drop off things.
If the kitchen is open to the rest of the living space, dimming could be utilized to match the mood in the rest of the place.
It's all a personal choice.
If you intend to have the option of dimming later, you need to get dimmable lighting.

o

"Why do UCLs have to be dimmable?"

Because you do not need them at full intensity all the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here