Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Wait: why do the UCL's have to be dimmable?

aliris19
12 years ago

Is this a subjective thing? Why do UCLs have to be dimmable? Wouldn't it depend on the specifics of your kitchen, e.g., countertop color, type of ambient and task lighting? Overall brightness? Work surfaces?

That is, I'm thinking I can get away without dimmers because I will have good overhead light, and really only UCLs in three places. When they might be used it would be to boost brightness to max; I'm not sure why I'd want UCL's anything less than max: that's their purpose in this context at least? Most of my prep doesn't happen in the vicinity of UCLs anyway.

I do have low-light night-light type lighting possibility on the hood which has instead of heat lamps, some low-Watt CFLs.

I guess another function is to illuminate the backsplash, but there again I should think you'd want to maximize light.

I remember reading someone explaining why they wanted dimmable UCLs but I'm wondering whether under these circumstances it might make sense to skip it. I think that person liked to have dim "mood" lighting, if you will, while not cooking. If that's not a goal, is it agreed that dimming might be expendable?

Also, dimming could be added later if it turns out life is about to cease without it, right?

TIA.

Comments (3)