Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help to decide: Daylight or soft white

Posted by maysf (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 1:37

I am going to install LED to every room in the new house. I bought one daylight led and one soft white led from home depot. Daylight seems bright and like the color, but hash on my eyes. But soft white seems yellow and not so bright. In which room soft white is good for? My kids bedroom will be used for doing their home work when they are older. I feel daylight led is better, but hard to see it unless it is dimmed. I think it s better to use daylight led in the kitchen, how about family room, living room and dinning?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help to decide: Daylight or soft white

Typical deployment
Soft white in most areas. Daylight where you need to study/ concentrate.

Some people prefer using all daylight, while others will use soft white.

Daylight color temp is ~ 5000k.

Alternatively, you could use a higher color temp (3200 - 3500k) instead of 2700k (typical soft white).

o

I like 5000 K everywhere except, maybe, in floor and table lamps.

o

I went to Home Depot and saw the bright white, I think it might be 3200 - 3500. I am trying to go more economical route by going for HD ecosmart integrated with trim. I am also thinking about buying trim and CFL bulb, then buy the right color temperature once led bulbs are cheaper. Is Anyone going this route?

o

Standard cfls do not work too well in recessed cans due to heat issues. See the led recessed lighting thread where there is an infra red picture of a cfl in a can.

o

Hi davidtay, Thanks so much again for your help. Decision is made, led integrated in HD is good. Hope they will last for a long time

o

Hi davidtay,
I could not find the thread about fluorescent light bulb on a screw on halo can. What the issue is? I am still thinking about it since led is so expensive.

o

Heat build up in the can, leading to cfl failure. I experienced a number of such failures myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Led recessed thread

o

Got it. Thanks so much. I have a few more questions on the other thread. Could please answer them. Thanks so much in advance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here