Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Please weigh-in with this lighting plan? Thanks!

aliris19
12 years ago

Hi yall -- There's a long sorry saga behind my current kitchen and lighting situation. Some from the kitchen forum will know it already. But the short version is, I currently have a new kitchen, new construction within a remodel, with closed-up walls and emplaced Cree LR4's that are not in the right place. They're not too bad, the kitchen overall layout didn't change all that much at the end of the day. But it's enough off that it needs attention.

We have two kinds of 4" Crees, the deep, generalized light and the mid, focused ones. I can get the numbers if it helps. Our experience with these both is that they aren't terribly different though we prefer the color of the focused light better. So we were thinking of adding just these focused lights only for the additional ones we need to buy.

I'll attach my current thinking:

Does this seem kind of reasonable? I know the cans aren't ideally placed, but they seem to be working OK-ish, even placed too close to the cabinets. I'm wondering in particular whether you agree with the switching. I've labeled the circuits with letters. So "A" is a sort of "prep surface" circuit, "B" is a single overhead socket for a ceiling fixture of some sort (as yet unchosen). "C" is a "cleanup/range" circuit (the hood has bright halogens so the rest is for counters only) and "D" is a study circuit lighting the homework/eating/recycling/deskwork surface + walkway ambient lighting. There is an outlet for all four switches on the island wall across from the fridge. Though I may stick an outlet into the study circuit space and move that switch around to the study-curvy side of the island.

Also, UCL LEDs are planned for three places, (1) to the right of the fridge, (2) in the corner, (3) to the left of the range. A single switch exists to the left of the range that I'd like to use for the UCLs.... though truthfully, I'd prefer to make that a 2-way switch for the circuit "C" and add a switch near the fridge for the UCL. There is currently a switch in the corner as well but I'd rather make that work for the DR on the other side of the passthrough.... though I guess it's easy enough just to make that switch have two small switches instead of the one large one.

Thoughts, anyone, on all this please? I hope it's not too complicated, what I'm laying out....I really appreciate any cogitation.

Oh -- another question. There's a light close to the wall on the island/peninsula... This highlights a couple shelves up near the ceiling for tchatkes. I think it would be better to have the 6" tilting CREE light that we have 3 of in the hallway where the pantry is. Is it worth switching this even presuming that's possible?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments (2)