Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New fan cannot use double wall switches

Posted by susanelewis (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 0:38

I researched this fan quite extensively but I was misled by an online retailer (can we use names here?) who said that the MinkaAire Concept II could use my dual wall switches. Well, it is not true. It can only be wired to one wall switch and the remote dims the lights and adjusts the fan speed/reverses blade rotation. There is no way to separate the fan from the light as I did with the previous fan that had two separate pieces. Logic dictates that the wall switch on the new fan actually talks through the receiver in the fan which controls both functions.

It is maddening that online sites so easily give out the wrong information. Now I have a non-functional switch. My husband suggested using the switch to control a wall sconce which is a great idea. However, I want to replace other fans (as they die) with integrated light fans (no more noisy light kits, please) and wonder if they all work this way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New fan cannot use double wall switches

They do not all work that way.

If I'm not mistaken you can bypass the receiver on that fan and use your dual light/fan switch.

If you don't use the handheld remote a physical switch is much more responsive, and there are no batteries to worry about.

o
RE: New fan cannot use double wall switches

My husband said you could bypass the receiver if he tore into the fan, but then there would be no way to change fan speeds/dim the lights or reverse the blades. There are no exterior switches/pulls actually on the fan.

You are so right about the responsiveness. My son uses the wall switch to turn on the fan/light initially. There is definitely a delay but it's not substantial. I guess I'll have to do my homework more next time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here