Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please recommend sources for light switches

Posted by linda_utah (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 17, 10 at 0:08

We're building a new home and we are the contractors. The rough-in electrical is in. We need to wire the lights and switches. Would prefer dimmer switches. We are using incandescent in all fixtures. Some are single pole and some are 3 way. Of course, all plugs (regular and gfci), cable, and phone need trim installed.

Could you recommend online sources of these components? I've found some, but the prices have me cringing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please recommend sources for light switches

I bought most of my switches and dimmers from the link below. They seemed to have the best price and selection. But you'll find like I did that dimmers and switches and GFCI's add up. If you want custom colors theyget really pricey. I found that the Almond color is fairly interchangable between Lutron and Leviton. These can be bought in the big box stores so down the road if you need a replacement they would be readily available. Lutron did not have a dual switch in the Decroa style, I bought a Leviton (or maybe Cooper?) from a big box store and it matches perfectly.

btw, the Meastro dimmers are excellent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Union Lighting

o

Try contractorlighting.com. They have great prices on all sorts of electical fixtures and gear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Contractor Lighting

o

I used Mr. Supply. Best prices I could find and my Lutron dimmers and switches arrived the day after I placed the order - with free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr Supply

o

Home Depot will have much better prices than the local hardware store. Returns and finding the switches and plates you forgot will be easier than online.

o

"Home Depot will have much better prices than the local hardware store."

And they will be glad to sell you bottom of the barrel low quality switches, dimmers, and receptacles.

I think they keep a few higher priced ones around just to take the cheap ones look like a bargain.

o

Not from what I've seen. Maybe you would care to tell us how you know the Leviton switches and switchplates are bottom of the barrel in other words the worst possible quality.

The local hardware stores sell the same switches and other components with the same sku's as those from Home Depot and Lowes. Maybe you have found that they are selling a lower qualkity line but using the same model and sku numbers. If so I'm sure FTC would like some examples.

o

I don't know about the big box stores selling cheaper versions of the models they do carry, but they simply did not have the models I needed - LV electronic for example. Their colors were also very limited.

o

In my area the larger electrical jobbers usually match or beat the big box stores' prices on most items. They also carry many more products. The big box folks will tell you straight out that if an item isn't a top tier popular seller, they won't stock it.

IMO the only reason to go to the big box stores is that they're open evenings and weekends, and most of the jobbers aren't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here