Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pendant lights -- How many? What size?

Posted by ecf1216 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 23:58

We are remodeling our kitchen and will be eliminating our eating nook when we put it in a large (4-1/2' x 8-1/2') island. Since our eating nook was cramped, we will be eating our casual family meals at one end of the island.

Here is our sketch, for reference. The island size has changed a little, and there is now a prep sink in the island across from the fridge. Seating will be on the sides and end toward the family room.
Photobucket

We will be having recessed lighting in the kitchen (no lighting plan yet), and want to hang pendant lights over the island. Is there a "rule" to follow regarding how many lights should go over a certain sized island? Recommendation from you experts out there? How about input on the appropriate size of the lights?

It might be helpful to know that we are going for a "classic" and "timeless" style kitchen.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pendant lights -- How many? What size?

I think you have to consider what the island will be used for and where the can lights/recessed lights will be in relation to the island. With an island that size, I would think that 3 pendants would work, but I have seen some really cool hundi-stule lanterns (Pottery Barn) above islands. They may only use 2 if the pendants are large...
HTH
Capegirl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here