Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed Lighting. Expert Advice Needed

Posted by johne62 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 21:23

I am updating my family room and dining room. As part of the process my wife has decided she wants recessed lights. She likes the 4 inch size. What options do I have other than standard incandescent bulbs. I am trying to be as green as possible but since I need to install 18 fixtures cost is also an issue. I look forward to your reply

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed Lighting. Expert Advice Needed

I don't fit your request for an expert, but as I was just starting to research recessed lights for myself recently, I found something called the Ecobulb Plus by Feit Electric. They have less mercury than normal CFLs, and even tout having less lead in the bulb reflector and screw area.

If you scroll down to ECObulb Plus Indoor Reflectors and Hard reflector sections on the link below, you might find something that will work with a 4".

Seems like these bulbs aren't available everywhere, but I saw them at a local hardware store. The site also says you can get them at some Lowes, Bed Bath Beyond, Costco, Walgreens. I would definitely talk to the person at the store to make sure they would work with your can.

In regards to cost, I was looking at some R30 for a 6" can. It was $20 for a pack of 4, if I remember correctly.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ecobulbplus.com/ecobulb_plus/ecobulbplus.html

o

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out. Does anyone have a good source for LED bulbs I would like to check those out as well. In looking online prices are all over the place

o

This is the best price I've seen, for a LED w/ good output. However, it is for 6" cans.
Lithonia Reality LED Recessed Can Kit

o

Thanks, that's a great price. Will try to talk the wife into a larger can

o

You may want to look at the CREE CR6 series.
polar-ray - 64.99
Home Depot ~49.97

o

Definitely not an expert - but after much research, we've decided on the Cree CR6 in a 6" can that we bought for $4.75 - so a grand total of around $54/light (got the Crees at HD for $49.97).

o

Analysisparlysis - your total cost of $54/ light is impressive. Where where you able to find the cans so cheap?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here