Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
juno 5' recessed led or cree cr6

Posted by dboxmeyer (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 19:25

When expressed interest in installing LED recessed lights as part of a kitchen remodel I mentioned the CREE LR6 that I have read about here as well as have seen in a local lighting store.

The electrician is recommending these:
http://www.prolighting.com/juic5ledreho.html

He says since we are putting up a new ceiling, we should look at lights built for new construction as I'm not limited to retrofit solutions like the CREE. He seemed to think the Juno were better, although I'm not sure why.

Any thoughts here as to why I'd prefer the Juno (which seems to be about $150 per) over either the CREE LR6 with a compatible housing? Better yet, I just discovered the CREE CR6 is being sold at Home Depot (for $50 per plus the cost for a housing) which has excellent dimming performance. Should I ignore my electrician's input and insist on the CREE or go with his Juno suggestion? If I go with CREE, any reason to not go with the HD version of the CR6?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: juno 5' recessed led or cree cr6

CREE lights can be used for new construction too. The LR6 can fit into title 24 cans (with the GU24 base).

I would go with the HD CR6 if you can use edison base lights. If you're subject to title 24 like laws, you need to use the GU24 base which is currently not available from HD.

The other resellers (polar-ray) of CREE CR6 lights have a higher list price ($65), but the warranty period is longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here