Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcskaisgir

Amount of recessed lights for kitchen...does it look right??

Lisa
10 years ago

OK...here is my kitchen layout. I am trying to figure out how many recessed lights to have in JUST the actual kitchen area...NOT including the kitchen table area, the sitting area by the fireplace, or the desk area. I figure the area to be about 137 sq ft. I am going by the rule of thumb of 35 lumens/sq ft. However, there is already a recessed light over the sink, there will be two pendant lights over the island, and there will be lighting over the cooktop. The recessed lights I am looking at are the LED's at Home Depot (by Cree I think) which put out 625 lumens.

Based on calculations it came out to needing 7.7 recessed lights for the area. But when you consider the already existing light over the sink, the cooktop lights, and the pendant lights (none of which I know the lumens), I am thinking I should be OK w/4 or 5.

Does this sound right??

Comments (10)

• David
    10 years ago

If you want greater flexibility in lighting - sometimes using only the recessed lights and other times a mix, probably 5-6.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, thank you so much!! Are most people doing the 4" or the 6" these days? And do you think the ones I mentioned from Home Depot (Cree) are a good choice?

• David
    10 years ago

I would think that 6" lights are still more common. ThoseCR lights from HD are fine.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This may sound like a completely stupid question...but can't you just buy regular (cheaper) recessed fixtures and use LED light bulbs instead of paying all the money for the LED fixtures AND LED bulbs?

• LE
    10 years ago

It's not a stupid question. It depends on where you are. In Calif, I think you have to have the dedicated fixture. In WA, we have to have "50% high efficacy fixtures" but at least for now, at least in our county, they are interpreting that as the bulb. Figuring that people won't just buy expensive LEDs to get through inspection and then sub them out, I guess.

• David
    10 years ago

No, you don't have to buy a dedicated LED fixture or a recessed can specifically meant for LED lighting unless ...
    1. you live in a county/ state which has a mandate like title 24.
    2. you choose Halo LED lamps as they made a specific housing for their LED lamps.

In CA, your fixture must not come with a E26 socket which is intended to prevent people from screwing in incandescent light bulbs.

An alternate socket is the GU24 or a bi/quad -pin connector used by some CFL lights.

The GU24 is no more/ less efficient than the E26. The E26 connector itself will continue to survive for quite a while given the vast number of fixtures utilizing it and the rising demand to fill in the socket with something more efficient.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really want to thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. It is much appreciated as this is an area that I have NO expertise!

I am kind of figuring out that I also need to purchase housing for these lights. I was assuming that the ecosmarts (mentioned above) were a light fixture in and of themselves. So I will need the ecosmarts, the housing, AND lightbulbs?? These are getting more expensive by the minute!!!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK...I now see that I only need housing in addition to the 6" ecosmarts because they are a bulb & housing combined. Duh!!!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One last question/comment...I currently have a large fluorescent fixture which has 4/ 40 watt bulbs. Are my calculations correct that this produces around 8000 lumens? And if I am replacing that w/7 recessed lights that produce 625/each, that will be significantly LESS lighting than I am used to. I guess it will be compensated by the under cabinet lighting and two pendant lights over the island? UGHHHHHHH! I think I will have to leave all of these issues to the electrician and hope it all turns out OK...

• David
    10 years ago

Not necessarily. If the fixture is recessed, the output could be drastically cut.

Other fluorescent fixtures utilizing the ge 2d bulb do not necessarily produce the rated output even after warming up, in part due to transmission loss through the shade/ cover.

The best DIY approach is to calculate the number of lights based on the desired illumination needs. If you use 35 lumens / sq ft, you'd have quite a bit of leeway.