Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom Mirror lighting with sidelights - Help Please

Posted by trinintybay (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 18:28

First walkthru on our new construction with electrician was yesterday and I told him I wanted side lighting (sconces) beside the bathroom mirrors. I thought this would give more light with less shadows. We also have 6" canned lighting in the bathrooms. I was placing them about the halfway point where the mirror would be and he told me he always puts them at 72". This is at the top of the mirror. He told me I should buy the down light sconces because the upright ones would light the ceiling not the mirror. Ok, I am really confused. Any help would be most appreciated. All bathroom mirrors will be oval and I also have one at a vanity.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom Mirror lighting with sidelights - Help Please

Are you sure he really understands you mean sconces? Everything he said sounds like it would refer to the traditional vanity light that goes top center of a mirror.

Go to Houzz.com and type bathrooom sconce or bathroom sconces in the search box and see what pics you get. (link to that search is below)

Then print out one of the pics you like and show it to him.

There are all sorts of heights of sconces in the search results and many if not most have the lights on so you can see the illumination. If you are *also* going to have cans overhead, I can't imagine there not being enough light.

Here is a link that might be useful: sconces

o

Robern uplift/ candre sconces could work quite well. They are CFL sconces with translucent covers which provide quite a bit of ambient lighting.

There are a number of other options from other manufacturers you could explore.

Here is a link that might be useful: robern lighting

o

Thank you both for your help. Cinnamonsworld, perfect to print a few pics to show him. And I love Houzz! Just popped over to the Robern lighting and that is a great site. Appreciate both of you. Electrician will be here Monday for a final look at the placement of his boxes before he runs the wires so the timing is perfect.

o

I have 2 bathrooms recently done. I put them at 5'6". My eye level (I'm 5'10"). One bathroom is RH Modern, points up, the other is RH Bistro, points down.

No difference in what I see on my face. I think i'd vote for the "down" for dust reasons, but both are just fine for lighting.

If you don't find any pics, i'll post one tomorrow. Bedtime for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here