Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janeway452

Where can I find trim rings (only) for recessed lights?

janeway452
9 years ago

My kitchen/family room bead board ceiling is being painted white over a very bad stain job. My walls will be gray and cabinets are darker gray with satin nickel pulls, doors have satin nickel levers and hinges and the fan will also be satin nickel. I'd like to replace the white trim rings only on my can lights, but I've only found one that even came close. Does anyone know who might sell trim rings without all the other parts? It seems that this would be one of those little bang for you buck changes you could make, but I guess not. If I have to just keep the white it'll be okay, but satin nickel might just look great against the white ceiling. The trim ring is very thin plastic with outside measuring 7 3/4" and the inside 5 3/4".

Comments (11)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

The Seymour brand of automotive aerosol paint has all the colors that are used on automobile wheels. Something in their line should be close to what you seek. To find a local source for the Seymour, ask a used car dealer where they get their cleanup/touchup supplies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seymour

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Different manufacturers design their trim rings and housings differently: they're not all interchangeable even if they are the same nominal size. You might want to ascertain the brand and inquire with that manufacturer.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have no idea what brand they are and what is accessible to me doesn't say. I think the paint route might be the only option. I'm going to check out what kind of spray will work on plastic. I know I don't want it to be shiney, and if I can find a matt silver or stainless look that works on plastic I might give it a try. Last time I was in the Rustoleum aisle I seem to recall seeing something about primer for plastic. If I go that route, I'll try it out on the back (ceiling) side and see what happens. One thing that might make it work is that it's up on the ceiling and no one can look at it up close and think, oh, how fakey faux, but not in a cool way. Years ago I lived in an apartment that had vaulted ceiling with exposed dark work beams. I can't remember what made me get a ladder and get close, but I was surprised that it was actually foam. From the ground it looked really real.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Rustoleum does have spray paint that is labeled for use on plastic, and I think you don't even have to prime the surface. However, you may wish to use fine steel wool or very fine sandpaper (like 400 grit) to just buff the surface. This will clean off any residues and give the paint a little better surface to adhere to.

If you haven't sprayed something like this before, I have two suggestions: 1) elevate it off the surface you will be spraying on to avoid the ring getting stuck...several nickels would work fine; 2) use several light spray coats, rather than one or two heavy ones, to avoid runs.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the tips, kudzu9! I searched online and found Rustoleum Universal at Lowe's that looks perfect for the job. There's an Antique Nickle Flat and Soft Iron Flat (looks too dark) I'll go for flat and will definitely use the fine steel wool and raise it up and several fine coats. Last night before going to sleep I thought it might be cool to use the light gray of my top cabinets, or maybe the lighter gray of the walls, but i can't imagine it would look as good as a good spray job.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

When I posted about the paint, the intention was to offer just one possibility for getting what you want. First I would take one of the existing rings to various suppliers, including the big box stores, to see if compatible units are offered there. Even if those do not have the finish you desire, painting new ones preserves the existing ones as they are. Keeps future options open.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I only checked Lowe's and Home Depot online and in store and they had nothing like just replacement rings. It's possible that there are so many different sizes and manufacturers that it would be impossible. I did not check at the electrical supply stores. I agree to the wisdom of keeping future options open by preserving the originals, but I've already started the process. My thinking is if it really looks bad with the Rustoleum Universal brushed nickel, I could just paint them while again. Worst case (costly) would be to change out all the recessed lights, but I hope it doesn't come to that. I've put a coat of Uma bonder on them after scuffing them up a bit with fine steel wool. My next step is elevating them with coins on cardboard and applying a thin coat in one direction. When it dries, I'll spray another thin coat up and down and then a third on a diagonal. Hoping for the best, not even going to think of the worst!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I've bought them in store at Home Depot, but after replacing a couple of cracking and breaking ones, we decided to start replacing all the recessed lights with the EcoSmart bulb and trim unit. We also needed to replace a couple of bulbs, so it was a start. They look so clean and are less obtrusive than the cans (with the holes, dark liners, etc.), use less electricity and don't add heat to the room. The unit replaces the bulb and trim -- you don't have to change out the fixtures. I highly recommend them, but if you have more than one Home Depot, check the prices. One store was selling them for significantly more than the one to the other side of us. It adds up when doing multiples.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ended up spray painting them with Satin Nickel Rustoleum Universal Metallic paint and primer, after one coat of a primer/sealer/bonder. They turned out pretty good, and being way up on the ceiling it's probably not too easy to see they are spray painted. Overall, I'm happy with them.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Congratulations. Good outcome. And nobody else will notice.

• aturovidal88
    9 years ago

When I posted about the paint, the intention was to offer just one possibility for getting what you want. First I would take one of the existing rings to various suppliers, including the big box stores, to see if compatible units are offered there.

If you are finding the best solar powered lights for your home, view this website and read quality reviews about Solar Flood Lights

This post was edited by aturovidal88 on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 2:22

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022