Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
upgrade from cfl to led in juno icpl626en downlights?

Posted by wws944 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 17:12

We have several of the Juno ICPL626EN downlights which provide a ballast for a 26 watt triple tube CFL. (Currently using Sylvania CF26DT/E 841 bulbs.) In several of the locations, the slow warm up time is very annoying, and duty cycle is fairly short. It would be great to upgrade them to use LED bulbs. Unfortunately, there is no access to the fixtures from above - which means simple replacement of the housings is not an option.

Dimming is not a requirement. So it would be nice to find something that 'looks' like a CFL to the ballast.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: upgrade from cfl to led in juno icpl626en downlights?

The ballast should be disconnected before switching to LED lamps like the CR6.

o

When retrofitting LED to a CFL can or any fluorescent fixture, the ballast needs to be disconnected first.

o

Appreciate the replies!

My problem is that I can not access the fixtures from the top. So I don't think there is an easy way, from the underside, to disconnect the ballast. But would really like to be proven wrong...

o

Options
1. Cut through the ceiling, rewire the can and patch the hole.
2. Cut out the can in place and replace it with a retrofit housing w/o a ballast. Think of it like keyhole surgery.
3. Cut through the can to the ballast compartment.

The first is the most straight forward and probably the easiest (practical)
The last is the least likely to succeed and would most likely result in either option 2 or 1 being taken in the end.

o

One of these triple tube CFLs burned out today. It is in a bathroom location which gets switched on/off a lot and not really on for long times. So rather than paying $10-$15 for a new bulb, I spent $25 for a new CR-6.

It turns out one can get to the guts of these lights by pulling out the trim, unscrewing three hex head screws with a 1/4" socket wrench, then sliding the interior of the can downwards. Next unscrew the two screws holding the ballast cover on. The ballasts mounting plate simply unclips - providing access to the wiring.

I drilled a new hole in the can to route new wires, using a grommet to protect the wires from sharp edges. Disconnected the ballast, wired up an Edison socket (sorry Title 24 buffs) and reassembled.

Works great. I did go from a 1700 lumen bulb (considering light loss in fixture, this number is effectively reduced quite a bit) to a 575 lumen bulb. However this area quite small so it isn't that big a deal. But I think if I do some of the others in my house I would use the new 800 lumen CR6.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here