Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsmith66_gw

Dusk to Dawn CFL fixture failures

JSmith66
12 years ago

Recently I installed 4 dusk to dawn CFL light fixtures on the front of my home. These fixtures replaced standard incandescent fixtures that have worked fine for 30 years. I tried to use screw in dusk to dawn controllers, but they didn't work very well and didn't last long, so I decided to install new fixtures with built in light sensors. The installations worked fine in 3 locations, but I have burned through 3 fixtures on one outlet. The last fixture was one that I relocated from another box where It worked fine. But sure enough, this 3rd and last installed fixture failed again. Once the fixtures fail, they don't work in the other locations where the fixtures work properly. The outlets are all on the same circuit controlled by a 2 3-way switches next to the front door and the door to the garage.

It seems to me there must be something happening with the wiring in the outlet where every fixture fails. Initially they work fine, but overnight they stop working completely. With 3 in a row dying on the same outlet, one of which was working ok on another outlet, I don't think the problem is the fixture.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to troubleshoot and repair the problem.

Comments (6)