Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aa62579

Fake Skylight help

aa62579
12 years ago

My parent's house was supposed to have a dormer let light into the great room. Long story short, it didn't let in much, if any light, due to some big trees and wonky angles. I thought they should just abort the idea and cover it with sheet rock. The contractor, though, wanted to hard wire a light in there, cover with a glass plate, and have it basically on 24/7 to provide a soft, muted light source at night or resemble a skylight during the day.

The light fixture is probably a small tube florescent. The glass is frosted.

Problems - when the light is off, it looks black. When the light is on, the glass looks yellow. The contractor wants to lightly spray some white paint over the glass to make it more opaque. Is this a feasible solution, or does he need to address the fixture/bulb?

For reference, here are photos of it off and photos of it on. The photo of it on is actually a plastic temporary piece, and not the glass, but the effect is the same.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

If it didn't look yellow when turned on, I think they would leave the light on all the time. (So, they wouldn't need to address the dark look when the light is off.)

Any helpful information you can give me to pass on?

Comments (7)