Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anchor wire behind cabinet

Posted by pam21 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 16:04

We are doing a full kitchen remodel ourselves and I can't find a requirement for anchoring the romex cable in the wall behind the cabinet. We are planning to do direct wire LED under cabinet lights

Should I be putting in a cable box in the wall and then have the wire come through the dry wall before they mount the cabinet? What if I the cabinet wire ends up to the wrong side of the cabinet edge? Someone said I could just staple the wire to the studs and if it is in the wrong place move it and repair the drywall.

We are going to to a full tile backsplash.

Also does anyone have ideas about hiding/protecting the romex cable along the cabinet trim?

Thanks - Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anchor wire behind cabinet

"We are doing a full kitchen remodel ourselves and I can't find a requirement for anchoring the romex cable in the wall behind the cabinet. "

Look in the the electric code.

Cables require fastening within a short distance of where they exit a junction box, unless the wires are fished into an existing cavity from access points (you do not need to cut a huge hole to allow fastening the cable inside the wall).

Cables run through bored holes are considered supported.

There are specific lengths given for how often a cable must be supported (and this can be accomplished by fastening them to the sides of joists and studs).

o

Thanks for the help. According the the documents provided by our town, wires must be fastened within 12 inches of the box or fixture. I wasn't sure how to interpret the wording. We will certainly fasten the romex to the cabinet at the point at which it comes through the drywall. So if the wire is stapled to the stud within 12 inches of where it is fastenedto the cabinet that should be OK. I will confirm with the inspector when he comes but I wanted to try to get it right.

Thanks

o

The 12 inches is for each box or fixture and that is all.

Other rules apply after that (and the spacing is much larger).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here