Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee676

What's going on with the Ecosmart CR6?

lee676
10 years ago

A few months ago, an improved version of the Ecosmart ECO-575L, Home Depot's discounted version of the Cree CR6 LED downlight, began appearing in stores. The new ones were in a green (rather than gold) box and were rated at 625 rather than 575 lumens. But since then, they've disappeared from local stores and the lower-brightness lamps are all I see. What's more, some of them have the old, heavier design and wider bezel that won't fit into 5" diameter cans. There's even some of the really old plastic boxes with an even earlier design that used 10.5 rather than 9.5 watts showing up. I ordered some online to get the $5 per bulb discount if you buy 2 or more; the online HD site still shows the 625 lumen version and give that figure in the specifications. I hope that's what I get.

The Ecosmart CR6 has undergone several revisions, most of which I consider improvements, since they first appeared a few years ago:

- use slightly less power - 9.5 rather than 10.5 watts
- a bit brighter - 625 vs. 575 lumens
- rated for wet areas where water may splash on it (as in a shower with a handheld spray); previously it was only rated for damp areas with no direct water contact.
- lighter weight
- removable diffuser
- revamped clips. Some complain the new design is flimsier, but I like that the new clips could bend in either direction
- a slightly thinner cone that allowed it to fit in many 5" cans as well as 6" ones (something noted in recent Cree online documents)
- several internal changes - fewer LEDs providing the light, etc.

Anyone know why they're reverting to old ones in the stores? I'm in the DC area.

Comments (3)