Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
general room lighting--from the wall?

Posted by still_lynnski (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 14:16

Our large open living room needs a lot more general light. It's wired for 2 wall fixtures @ 10' high and 20' across from each other. That's a lot of space to illuminate! The previous owners mounted track lights on the walls, and that looked just awful. I'm looking for new wall fixtures, but haven't found any that would put out a LOT of light and don't look like multi-light bathroom light-bar fixtures.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping for a lot of light, but a minimalist/contemporary fixture. We can make changes to the wiring if necessary, but the fixtures still have to mount on the wall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: general room lighting--from the wall?

You will probably need to put 3x that many fixtures in if you want a minimalist fixture and enough light for that size of room. Just my 2¢

o

OK--what if I let go of the desire for a "minimalist" fixture? Is there any way to get enough light in a wall-mounted fixture? Where would I look? The fixtures called "sconces" seem to be relatively low wattage, and those called "vanity" are all bathroom light bars that would not be right for a living room. Any suggestions? Is there a category of lighting fixture that I'm just not aware of?

o

If you're looking at minimalist lighting without concern for cost,
you might want to look at the possibility of LED molding (linearlux) from LEDfolio.com.

The ledfolio website seems to be down "under construction" right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: linearLux

o

Oooh, cost is definitely a concern. Thanks.

o

Hi there,
I just posted a similar question, looking for ideas for 2 hardwired lights on LR wall, but ours are only about 6' off ground, and 10' apart. Same issue -- need more light! (Currently have sconces, clamshell shape, shining upward -- don't do anything!) I'm eager to hear other ideas/suggestions too, but one style I've looked at is the lampshade-style on some sort of arm. Not as much light as a track/multi-bulb unit (which I would prefer as well for output, but at 6' height, I don't think would work in our room), but at least the light would deflect down/out, which isn't the case w/ most sconces I've seen. You might want to look at that lampshade/arm style too??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here