Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suethemidwife

remodel vs new construction frame-in kits

suethemidwife
14 years ago

My electrician is planning to use a Lightolier remodel frame-in kit in my kitchen (7 recessed fixtures, model 2003R). My very well-insulated attic (unfinished, blown-in insulation) is above the kitchen. When I inquired--shouldn't you use a kit that is designed for contact with insulation? he said, we will just cut out the insulation 3" around each fixture. If I want to use what I think is the proper kit (new construction kit 2000AIC, for contact with insulation and an "air lock" which I think helps fixtures in an unfinished space not perceive themselves to be overheating and shut themselves off in the summer) he said fine, but these are harder to install and you will be charged $40 extra labor per fixture.

Part of me thinks, just let these guys do what they do, and part of me worries they're not doing it right. I have installed lots of frame-in kits before and it's no fun but I suppose I could just do it myself and they can just wire them up.

Any thoughts? Am I being too persnickety? Do the new construction kits perform any better than the remodel kits, which seem sort of flimsy to me? All you lighting experts, please weigh in. Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)