Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rewiring a ceiling fan to take medium base bulbs

Posted by jockewing (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 27, 10 at 11:40

It is so frustrating trying to find ceiling fans with sufficient lighting! I have a fan that I just love the style of, but it only takes 2 60 watt candelabra base bulbs. Is it possible that I could just change out the porcelain sockets from the candelabra size to the medium size bases of the same wattage? It seems like even at the same wattage, you can find regular sized light bulbs that put out much more light than a candelabra base.

I assume I would just have to buy the medium size bases, cut the wires and rewire the bases. My biggest challenge would be making sure the larger sized bulbs would fit inside the fan's glass shade.

I found a blog where someone successfully did this, wanted to know your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rewiring a ceiling fan to take medium base bulbs

If you can find a way to mount the larger sockets, and if they physically fit into the housing, maybe. However, you will probably void any warranty the fan has. You'll void its UL listing, too, as is the case with any substantial modification.

o
RE: Rewiring a ceiling fan to take medium base bulbs

"You'll void its UL listing, too, as is the case with any substantial modification."

And this is an issue why?

Use UL rated parts for the new sockets.

You will not get significantly more actual light from a medium base 60 W bulb than from a candelabra based 60 W bulb though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here