Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cupcakedreams

light fixture help - new construction

CupcakeDreams
9 years ago

Hi! looking for ideas on how to correct the mistake I made during my design center appt. I DID NOT PUT MUCH THOUGHT TO LIGHT FIXTURES. We are now in the finishing stages of home building and terribly disappointed when I walked in and saw this generic light fixture in the family room. During my design appt 6 months ago, my only concern was picking things that are more structural in nature, things that my husband and I cannot afford to do ourselves and items behind the wall. In my head, light fixtures are decorating touches and I need not go with the builders upgrades if they do not 100% attract me whatsoever. I figured, maybe we can live with them for a year, giving me time to look for inspiration and simply shop around for statement fixtures. I am hating myself right now for that poor decision. I don't think I can live with that eyesore, I'd like to put something up just after we move in. Ceiling fans do not appeal to me. I am gearing towards a semi-flush or smaller chandelier of some sort. The kitchen island pendant (2) is also something I want to change. The ceiling height is 10ft. The kitchen / breakfast area (13x20) is looking out to the family room. Family room size is 18 x 20. If it helps the light collection is: progress lights - Gather. I am open to suggestions, quick fix for now so nothing crazy expensive -- something that could hold us off for the next 2-3 years, but still nice enough for when we hold parties. :)

Comments (4)

• WhereIwant2b
    9 years ago

I used mostly antique fixtures that were rewired. There are a bazillion out there to choose from and rewiring is easy for anyone to do. Refinishing is easy too.
    What I like is choice from various early revivals such as colonial, craftsman or gothic to mid century and the prices can be much cheaper than new.
    With such a lovely ceiling, a lovely refurbished chandelier would be like a piece of jewelry to finish it off.

• foodfiend_gardener
    9 years ago

What you did is certainly understandable, there are so many decisions to make when building a house that certain items just slip through the brain-analysis. Shall I give you a list of the items that slipped by us on our new build?!

We got lucky on lighting, though. The builder wanted us to choose our fixtures at Lowes and we did, but only for the more utilitarian fixtures. For the fixtures in the important areas, I crossed my fingers and ordered from the lighting selection at build.com. We couldn't be more pleased-- the selection, the ordering process, the delivery, even when we had to return a fixture it was easy. I'm not much with online ordering from an unknown (to us) company, but we lucked out. There are tons of fixtures, unique, and the prices are very competitive.

I cringed when I saw that little flush-mounted light in your family room. :( Look at uplight chandeliers (those are recessed cans in your ceiling as well, right? So you need some illumination of the white ceiling in addition to the cans that providing down light), at least 3-5 bulbs.

• chas045
    9 years ago

I have a y chromosome and don't believe I should give design advise. However, I believe that you didn't make a mistake and have no reason to doubt yourself. You chose the 'basic' upgrade from an electrical junction box cover in your ceiling. It probably cost you and the builder ten bucks. Unless you were buying furniture during your initial design meeting, I don't see how a 'designer', even with two x chromosomes, would be able to forcast your desires before your furniture is in.

After you are moved in, take a couple of pics of your finished room and send them to the Home Decorator site here, or go to one of the lighting stores with the pics and they will be able to give better advise.

That is a beautiful ceiling. I suspect that foodfiend is right about being sure some light goes up.

• syhled
    9 years ago

My new house decoration and construction has gone through the entangled process as you were. At that time, I knew little about lighting and lamps and how to apply them. Considering the safety, aesthetic appearance and cost, I chose led tube lamps for by dining room, kitchen; small chandelier for bedroom, and chandelier for the hall. One years later, I just found that the chandelier lamps did not work any more, so I have to change new ones, which costs a lots of expenditures. I was so regretful that i did not retrofit the whole with led tube lights, cause till now about 4 years, they worked very well.

For my experience, I concluded that if you are new on how to choose lamps for home decoration. Choose the most common lighting fixtures is the best policy, such as tube lights, bulb, etc. Moreover, for aesthetic appearance consideration and energy cost, etc., we should know more about lighting knowledge. Try to learn something about lighting knowledge and then you can make better choice. The most effective way is to find some professional lighting manufacturer that can provide you the best lighting solutions for you reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED Lighting Solutions for Home Improvement