Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny20

i love my cr-6's - thank you!

ginny20
12 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who taught me about the Cree CR-6 recessed LED's. I got the Home Depot version for my remodeled kitchen, and I love them. We're dimming them with Lutron Skylark dimmers, and they work great. The light quality and spread is wonderful. My GC was going to give me CFL's, but I told him about these. He likes them so much that he's going to put them in his own house. Your help was invaluable.

Comments (18)

• jscozz
    12 years ago

They are great lights! Glad you tried them!

Did anyone on here see that they were dropped to $29.99 at Home Depot a month ago... I was told that was regular new price... then a couple weeks ago I see them back to $49. If I was not give wrong info by store personnel I would have bought a bunch of them for other rooms... now, HD customer service has no knowledge of a $29 price at all! Just curious if anyone else saw that and got any different details about it.

• boltonfish
    12 years ago

I am looking for undercounter lighting for my remodel. A fairly small amount, but I want the light to be "warm". Do the cr-6's produce "warm" light?

Thanks!

• David
    12 years ago

Yes it does, but it is not intended for undercounter lighting as it is meant for 6" recessed can lights.

• Emilner
    12 years ago

The HD CR6 bulbs are now $25! I was there today and saw them in person and they have them online. Opinions of the HD branded Cree CR6's vs the direct Cree's?

• Granite_Man
    12 years ago

I thought the HD version had a shorter average rated life. Is this not true?

I also thought the light output was slightly less. There used to be a website that stated something to this effect.

• David
    12 years ago

No, the life span should be similar.
    The warranty period is shorter for the Ecosmart branded CR6.
    The light output is the same.

Either search this website for more details or use google.

• jscozz
    12 years ago

I saw them at $29 a couple months ago... then back to $49 with no explanation.

I don't see them at $25 on the web site...shows $39. Anyone else see a different price in store?

• wws944
    12 years ago

The HD near me just dropped the price from $49.95 to $39.95.

BTW, at least here in California, note that HD stocks both Edison screw-in style, and GU24 style CR-6s. The packaging is almost identical between the two. If you get the latter, and you are retrofitting an existing fixture, you have to clip the wires on the old Edison socket and splice on a (provided) GU24 socket. Not a big deal, but annoying.

• Emilner
    12 years ago

I just purchased 8 at HD in Westbury (NY) for $24.97 each. Maybe it is a regional thing?

• slowrey
    12 years ago

What drives me nutso is that right now I'm in New Jersey on business and they are $29.95 in the stores but in Texas where I live they are $39.95! If I knew that the airlines wouldn't bust them I would go buy them before my flight.

• wws944
    12 years ago

Do the utility companies in NJ/NY give rebates on them that might be reflected in the lower price? Out here on the left coast, PG&E gives some rebates on CFL bulbs. But for some strange reasons, they do not give rebates on LED bulbs.

• wws944
    12 years ago

Seems that is the case. Long Island Power gives $15 rebates to purchasers of the CR-6.

Here is a link that might be useful: LIPA/Cree/Home Depot offer discounts...

• Emilner
    12 years ago

That must be it, I just purchased another 8 while they are still $25. I need another 6 for my kitchen/den but I keep draining the stock of the store :(

Then I could always go and replace the 20 in my garage high hats. Ugh....

• slowrey
    12 years ago

I called my local HD and told them that I wanted to buy them but at the other regions price and they said sure. Sold them to me!

• jscozz
    12 years ago

How did you prove the price in the other region? Can they look it up in their inventory? Any particular store #?

• slowrey
    12 years ago

JSCOZZ

Just go to HomeDepot.com and put in another cities zip code to make it your store.

• jscozz
    12 years ago

Thanks... I went to do that today... and whoala! The shelf at my local HD now has them at 24.97 also! Time to finish off the high use rooms in my house! Although, I am a little upset I spent over $500 more than I needed to being an early adopter... installed about 20 of them already over the last year. But at $25, there is now no reason for new construction to use anything else... regular trim and bulb are close in cost now.

• slowrey
    12 years ago

JSCOZZ,

What part of the country do you live in?