Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcconloc_gw

Small wall wash fixture help

mcconloc
14 years ago

We are nearing the start of a kitchen remodel, and we have some different challenges in our lighting layout. We're on a slab and have the burden of dealing with a large HVAC soffit above several of our cabinet runs. It's 12" high from the ceiling and extends about 19" out from the front of the upper cabinet faces. I tried to represent it with the shaded box in the drawing.

My concern is that the recessed lighting (green circles) will leave the upper cabinets in the dark as they are shaded by the soffits. Could we install some small accent lights in the soffits to illuminate the cabinets? (represented by yellow triangles) Because of the ducts inside, any cans would have to be at least 13" away from the cabinet face, but there is clearance at that point. Would some low voltage MR11 or MR16 2" or 3" gimballed fixtures work? My other concern is having lamps that give off significant heat right there, as we'll be standing under the soffit while working in the kitchen. Perhaps there is a LED solution? We don't need much light - just enough to highlight the cabinets.

I hope that all makes sense. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (3)