Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solatube owners...which lens to get?

Posted by hondagirl (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 10:54

I plan on purchasing a solatube shortly but I'm not sure which lens to get. There are 4 choices. I have seen the standard lens but I find that the light emitted is very bright. There are 3 other choices and my sales rep is not very helpful in explaining the difference. I would like the light to be as close as possible to natural sunlight.
Which lens would be the closest to sunlight..... the warm, softening or warm softening lens?
If you have a solatube, which lens did you get? Are you happy with the light quality?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solatube owners...which lens to get?

I don't have a Solatube, but just in case no one comes up with real world advice, here's my input.

The warm lenses are tinted. The softening lenses are diffuse. So the difference between the standard and the softening would be like the difference between a clear light bulb and a frosted light bulb.

Since you don't want the color of the light to be altered, I would go with the softening lens. It's not going to make it any less 'bright', but it will have less glare. If you want less light and not alter the color, you would have to have *less* light. Solatube has their Daylight Dimmer which is an internal butterfly to control the amount of light.

o
RE: Solatube owners...which lens to get?

Thanks, bignick for your info. It is helpful.

Anyone else who owns a solatube, I'd like to hear what you have to say.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here