Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fouramblues

does a fixture have to be dimmable or just the bulb?

fouramblues
10 years ago

I've had my eye on a Crate and Barrel sconce for a while, and it's now on sale (specs below). I'd like to hardwire it and put it on a dimmer switch. Is this possible with a fixture that's not specifically labeled "dimmable" (If I get the proper dimmer/bulb configuration)? Would the high/low switch cause problems? I'd appreciate any sage advice you can give me, thanks!

Eclipse Antiqued Bronze Wall Sconce. (8"dia.x5.5"H shade); 8" dia. x 11.75"H
Steel and brass
Antiqued bronze finish
Polyester exterior shade, cotton-poly blend interior shade 60W max.
Accommodates compact fluorescent lightbulb (not included)
High/low switch
Translucent cord and two 12" cord covers
Plug in or direct wire
Made in China

Here is a link that might be useful: Crate and Barrel sconce

Comments (5)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

If you use a standard incandescent medium based bulb, no great than 60 watts, which is the fixtures limit, and you hard wire it to a wall switch equipped with a dimmer/rheostat, you can dim the fixtures.

It doesn't say if the high low switch is along the cord or on the fixture. If it's on the cord, you'll be cutting it off. If it's on the fixture, you can use that in place of the wall dimmer.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So neither needs to be dimmable if the bulb is incandescent. Who knew?! I sure didn't. Thank you so much for enlightening me (pun intended), beverly!

• lee676
    10 years ago

Many LEDs and some compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs you can use can also be dimmed using a common dimmer, although dimmable CFLs aren't usually all that good.

• sunfeather
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have a similar question about a chandelier - Specs do not include "dimmable" - uses 40 watt candelabra bulbs, 4.5 W LED candelabra or 9W CFL?

• PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    5 years ago

The fixture and the switch.