Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cubicle and plants

Posted by tlepard (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 5, 09 at 10:09

Hello!

I work in a cubicle... there are fluorescent lights on the ceiling. I also have a 4 foot fluorescent light under the overhead cabinet (F32T8). The color or brightness or something hurts my eyes and gives me headaches. I'm looking to switch to a light bulb that will be better for me and that would help me grow some plants (it's rather dull and depressing in there!).

Thank you for any suggestions as to what type of light I should get to replace this cabinet light.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cubicle and plants

I have heard about fluorescent lights bothering people, I think some of the bulbs/fixtures flicker, but not so much that you can see it. Maybe get your own lamp and use a regular bulb, I have some that are supposed to have natural light spectrum, also some of the newer flour. replacent bulbs are better.

Regarding the plants, most lower light requirement house plants so very well in regular fluorescent lighting with little or no natural light. Try a small peace lily, they are very common and easy to care for.

Here is a link that might be useful: peace lily

o

You can get a 'grow bulb' for your fluorescent fixtures---should make both you and your plants happy.

o

If the ballast in your cube is lousy, I don't think just replacing the bulb will help. You can change the color temperature, but not the flickering. Your best best is probably getting a desk lamp and using it instead of the fixture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here