Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recessed LEDs--4 or 6 inch?

Posted by tortybeans (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 8:40

I'm having a bit of a last minute lighting situation. My contractor informed me last night that I need to have the recessed lights ready on Monday. He told me that he's going to get the housing for the lights, but looking at the one he selected it's only for incandescent bulbs (the Halo H99ICT 4-inch). I'm nearly positive we want LEDs and told him that. But when I look at the big box stores online, the only housings they have for LEDs are for 6 inch. The kitchen is small (13x8 feet); given that size, will the 6-inch recessed lights be too much? We will also be installing LED undercabinet lights (thanks to this forum!). If we go 6-inch, I will get the EcoSmart LEDs made by Cree from Home Depot, but I can't seem to find those in a 4-inch option.

If 6-inch is too big and I should use the 4-inch, what is the next best light source to look at? Or do I make the contractor wait while I order what I need?

I've spent hours over the past couple of weeks reading all of the great information here; thanks to everyone for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recessed LEDs--4 or 6 inch?

There are CREE LR4 lights. These can be found at the website I've linked to.

The price is ~ $178 (housing + trim + LED lamp module).

The price for a LR6 is ~ $90+.

If you need to use non edison base modules, the HD version of the CR6 will not do.

Here is a link that might be useful: LR4 polar-ray

o
RE: recessed LEDs--4 or 6 inch?

I second Davidtay's comment. The CREE LR4 is a good second option. Although it really is closer to a 5" opening rather than a 4". But it's still smaller than the 6".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here