Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tortybeans

recessed LEDs--4 or 6 inch?

tortybeans
13 years ago

I'm having a bit of a last minute lighting situation. My contractor informed me last night that I need to have the recessed lights ready on Monday. He told me that he's going to get the housing for the lights, but looking at the one he selected it's only for incandescent bulbs (the Halo H99ICT 4-inch). I'm nearly positive we want LEDs and told him that. But when I look at the big box stores online, the only housings they have for LEDs are for 6 inch. The kitchen is small (13x8 feet); given that size, will the 6-inch recessed lights be too much? We will also be installing LED undercabinet lights (thanks to this forum!). If we go 6-inch, I will get the EcoSmart LEDs made by Cree from Home Depot, but I can't seem to find those in a 4-inch option.

If 6-inch is too big and I should use the 4-inch, what is the next best light source to look at? Or do I make the contractor wait while I order what I need?

I've spent hours over the past couple of weeks reading all of the great information here; thanks to everyone for your input!

Comments (2)