Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with lighting for Galley Kitchen

Posted by swampfever (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 6:47

We're in the middle of an unplanned kitchen remodel. It all started when we pulled up tile and found terrazzo floors underneath. The DW wanted them refinished and then found Granite she loved that matched, then a sink and a faucet and now we're redoing everything but the cabinets.

To the point. I like some ideas about lighting for this space.

The house is a beach house in Florida. We want to keep the heat down. The kitchen currently has two fluorescent fixtures with one bulb each. I made them myself and designed them so that I would not get any flicker from the fan in the center of the room. The lighting is somewhat bright, but we have excellent visibility when working. The ceiling has always seemed a little dark, more gray than white. We would like to update the look (and keep the fan for cooling), but I'm not sure if I want cans in the ceiling. I'd like some design ideas for lighting the kitchen. I had thought about some light from the ceiling, a spot over the sink and some under cabinet lights so that the lighting has some flexibility. I appreciate your suggestions

K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with lighting for Galley Kitchen

I will anxiously be watching for respones to this message. I, too, have a galley kitchen that I am wanting to update lighting.

o

Fluorescent lighting like what you now have is indeed out of fashion. However, if practical task lighting is what you want, it's awfully hard to beat. If it were my kitchen, I'd leave the lighting just the way it is.

o

I would not replace it until it breaks.

In the meantime, you could look at flat panel EL/ LED and / or LED molding lighting for ideas.

LED molding is pretty expensive. ~ $500+ for a 4' length.

Manufacturers include ledfolio.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here