Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much is enough?

Posted by mamasheshe (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 0:55

Long story short, the only way I could get a bigger kitchen is to expand into my existing breakfast room with a vaulted ceiling. That room is currently lit by the ugly fixture you see here with 6 120v 60w candelabra bulbs (3480 lumens total). The fixture emits light in all directions. The lighting is adequate.

Planned lighting for this same area includes:
1) uplighting over the cabinet (I think it is the same led lighting as our undercab lights so 375 lumens).
2) undercab lighting 375x2 = 750 lumens
3) sconce on wall just out of frame to the right in the photo. Most we are looking at use a 60w halogen for about 830 lumens.
4) 2 20w 12v halogens in range hood over cooktop (320 lumens each).
5) 3 pendants over peninsula. I really like some monorail pendants that use 12v 35w xelogen bulbs (525 lumens each).

My husband thinks we need to use a larger midi pendant that takes 100w incandescent bulbs to make sure we have enough light. Asthetically speaking, I don't like the fixtures we would have to use or the pendants nearly as much, but I don't want this part of the kitchen to be dark. During the day, we get some sunlight from western exposure bay window.

If I just add up the lumens, it seems to be ample light, but some of the light is shooting straight down to the black countertop. I am hoping the uplight and wall sconce will bounce some light off of that vaulted ceiling to help the overall space appear brighter.

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much is enough?

Cove lighting would work very nicely. You will need high output strips to evenly illuminate the ceiling and have sufficient light reflected down. The lights would be placed on top of crown molding.

The eW PowerCore MX strips (500+ lumens per ft) would work well and they are dimmable too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here