Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Functional lighting for a pantry

Posted by SeaKoz (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 0:27

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for suggestions for functional lighting for my 10x3.75 foot pantry.

I'd like something with LEDs in it, I'm using CREE can lights in the rest of my kitchen, but this is a separate room and i don't think cans are my best choice. A fluorescent T8 or two seem like they'd do a good job illuminating the space but I hate the fluorescent lighting and this is a room I won't be in for very long so the lights will cycle often and for short periods.

Thanks!

SeaKoz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Functional lighting for a pantry

You could use 2 CR6 or 1 CR14 (linear LED troffer)

o

I had no idea there was such a thing. I'm going to go with this one: http://www.alconlighting.com/cree-cr14-44-watt-1-4-led-architectural-troffer-4000k-step-dimming.html

Thanks for your advice!!!

o

Don't make the same mistake we did. We put a CFL can in our pantry. The thing takes like a minute to get to full brightness. By the time it warms up, the pantry item has long since been found, and it is time to turn it off. Can't be good for it. My excuse is that it was required by Code, and LED wasn't as available five years ago as it is today. It is getting high on my list of remaining lights to upgrade to LED.

o

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid wws, the light i'm looking at is 4k lumens, which from my rough math is about 100 footcandles for my space, which I think is enough.

o

The CR14 is nice, but is really more suited for a larger space. 2 CR 6 lamps would suffice and cost much less.

o

The CR6 is a can light right? My concern is that it isn't going to push enough light towards the shelving.

o

Yes it is, but the light spread is very good since all the LED emitters are forward facing and not too deeply recessed. If you want a better light spread/ spill, the LR6 which has a shallower recess is another option.

Ceiling fixture illumination
Your square footage is <40 sq ft. Assuming an area of 40 sq ft and an approximate illumination of ~ 30 - 35 lumens per sq ft (which will be as bright as the kitchen space), the total requirements is 1200 - 1400 lumens. You probably would be ok@ 20 lumens per sq ft since it will be unlikely that the space would be used for intricate work. The requirement falls to 800 lumens which means that 2 standard CR6 lamps would suffice (~ 1100). The CR6 family has a 800 lumen member (CR6-800L) which would bring the max output to ~ 1600 lumens. If you put in a dimmer, the max will be 95%.

Possible options
1. 2 LED recessed lamps or surface mounts (e.g.- glimpse)
2. Run a CR14 at 1/2 power.
3. Add shelf lighting (better for deep shelf spaces) to option 1. Phantomlighting.com has quite a few inspirational pictures illustrating that possibility.

o

Considering how wide and shallow your pantry is, I would think a tube solution would be better than cans. Something like a pair of 4 foot T5 fixtures. You can get these with tubes of LEDs, rather than fluorescent. Googling around, something like the "DirectLED FLT5" popped up - but I have no experience with it.

o

If you can get over your hate of fluorescent lighting, T8 programmed start ballasts can really extend the life of the lamps compared to other starting methods.

o

For the amount of time the lights are actually turned on it is hardly worth any thing but an incandescent.

My pantry is wired with under cabinet 12 V puck lights in a row down the middle about every 26 inches, with the 120 V side to the power supplies controlled by a 24 V relay switched by a micro switch on the door. Thermostat transformer and relay. Common and cheap.

Open the door, lights are on.
Close the door, lights are off.

There are a total of 5 20 W Xenon pucks on the ceiling (on a 1x4 board with the wring stapled to the side of the board.

The multiple lights helps greatly with shadowing, and the shelves are about 10 inches apart except the very lowest one that is 14 inches, and the bottom on 24 inches off the floor.

o

"For the amount of time the lights are actually turned on it is hardly worth any thing but an incandescent."

This is so true.

o

Considering that OPs pantry is only 3.5' deep, wouldn't incandescent lights be out of the question due to NEC concerns on lights in closets?

o

Sort of a moot point because OP doesn't like incandescents. I realize LEDs aren't the cheapest option but thats not my goal.

Thanks!

o

What is the goal?

o

I want a well lit pantry using LEDs at a not ridiculous cost.

o

" wouldn't incandescent lights be out of the question due to NEC concerns on lights in closets?"

Pantries are not closets under the NEC.

Closets are for clothes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here