Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sea_koz

Functional lighting for a pantry

sea_koz
11 years ago

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for suggestions for functional lighting for my 10x3.75 foot pantry.

I'd like something with LEDs in it, I'm using CREE can lights in the rest of my kitchen, but this is a separate room and i don't think cans are my best choice. A fluorescent T8 or two seem like they'd do a good job illuminating the space but I hate the fluorescent lighting and this is a room I won't be in for very long so the lights will cycle often and for short periods.

Thanks!

SeaKoz

Comments (16)

• David
    11 years ago

You could use 2 CR6 or 1 CR14 (linear LED troffer)

• sea_koz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had no idea there was such a thing. I'm going to go with this one: http://www.alconlighting.com/cree-cr14-44-watt-1-4-led-architectural-troffer-4000k-step-dimming.html

Thanks for your advice!!!

• wws944
    11 years ago

Don't make the same mistake we did. We put a CFL can in our pantry. The thing takes like a minute to get to full brightness. By the time it warms up, the pantry item has long since been found, and it is time to turn it off. Can't be good for it. My excuse is that it was required by Code, and LED wasn't as available five years ago as it is today. It is getting high on my list of remaining lights to upgrade to LED.

• sea_koz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid wws, the light i'm looking at is 4k lumens, which from my rough math is about 100 footcandles for my space, which I think is enough.

• David
    11 years ago

The CR14 is nice, but is really more suited for a larger space. 2 CR 6 lamps would suffice and cost much less.

• sea_koz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The CR6 is a can light right? My concern is that it isn't going to push enough light towards the shelving.

• David
    11 years ago

Yes it is, but the light spread is very good since all the LED emitters are forward facing and not too deeply recessed. If you want a better light spread/ spill, the LR6 which has a shallower recess is another option.

Ceiling fixture illumination
    Your square footage is Possible options
    1. 2 LED recessed lamps or surface mounts (e.g.- glimpse)
    2. Run a CR14 at 1/2 power.
    3. Add shelf lighting (better for deep shelf spaces) to option 1. Phantomlighting.com has quite a few inspirational pictures illustrating that possibility.

• wws944
    11 years ago

Considering how wide and shallow your pantry is, I would think a tube solution would be better than cans. Something like a pair of 4 foot T5 fixtures. You can get these with tubes of LEDs, rather than fluorescent. Googling around, something like the "DirectLED FLT5" popped up - but I have no experience with it.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

If you can get over your hate of fluorescent lighting, T8 programmed start ballasts can really extend the life of the lamps compared to other starting methods.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

For the amount of time the lights are actually turned on it is hardly worth any thing but an incandescent.

My pantry is wired with under cabinet 12 V puck lights in a row down the middle about every 26 inches, with the 120 V side to the power supplies controlled by a 24 V relay switched by a micro switch on the door. Thermostat transformer and relay. Common and cheap.

Open the door, lights are on.
    Close the door, lights are off.

There are a total of 5 20 W Xenon pucks on the ceiling (on a 1x4 board with the wring stapled to the side of the board.

The multiple lights helps greatly with shadowing, and the shelves are about 10 inches apart except the very lowest one that is 14 inches, and the bottom on 24 inches off the floor.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

"For the amount of time the lights are actually turned on it is hardly worth any thing but an incandescent."

This is so true.

• wws944
    11 years ago

Considering that OPs pantry is only 3.5' deep, wouldn't incandescent lights be out of the question due to NEC concerns on lights in closets?

• sea_koz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sort of a moot point because OP doesn't like incandescents. I realize LEDs aren't the cheapest option but thats not my goal.

Thanks!

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

What is the goal?

• sea_koz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want a well lit pantry using LEDs at a not ridiculous cost.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

" wouldn't incandescent lights be out of the question due to NEC concerns on lights in closets?"

Pantries are not closets under the NEC.

Closets are for clothes.