Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

tcp pro led par38 -17 watt -3,000k - 40 degree-anyone try this?

susanlynn2012
10 years ago

TCP PRO LED PAR38 - 17 Watt - 3,000K - 40 Degree : TCP LED17E26P3830KFL seems to have the temperature I want and is 1,050 Lumens and is on sale at $30.99. I prefer the CREE but the ones with the temperature not being 2,700K are over $100 and I still have to install the cans so I think if I go with this bulb, prices of the CREE will eventually go down and I can then replace my kitchen lights with the CREE. The Cree is more energy efficient and has a wider spread of light.

Is the TCP a decent bulb? If I put 6 - 9 of these in my home office (not sure what I need yet: 17.5' X 12.25' Room), would this be good?

Comments (7)

• David
    10 years ago

If you're intending to swap the bulb out within a couple of months, I'd either find a cheaper alternative or stick with the current.

Btw, Cree has also introduced BR30 bulbs (625 lumens) @ ~ $20, available in Home Depot. Both daylight and soft white.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Davidtay, I intend to go with 6" cans as I feel they give off more light so I would need PAR38 or BR40 bulbs UNLESS I go with smaller cans. 625 lumen's is not enough for me. I would like the lumen's to be over 800 and preferably 900 if possible per bulb. I also like the 3,000K color temperature. I will not swap out the bulbs right away and will use the bulbs until they are not giving great light. The bulbs in my kitchen are the Reveal Halogens at I think at 950 lumen's each that have been there now for 1.5 years and have not died yet as I am not in the kitchen that long and usually eat at my home office desk as I catch up with emails. But when they start to need to be replaced, I will go with LED.

I wish the CREE retrofit kits would be less than $100 for the lumens and color temperature that I want.

• David
    10 years ago

If you use standard A shaped bulbs, more light is required as quite a bit will be trapped inside the can.

The new BR 30 from Cree has a lower output as the "led filament tower" is more suited for omni directional light.

I used to deploy 23w cfl bulbs in cans until I saw the LR6. Even though the 23w cfls were supposed to output > 1200 lumens, the actual output from the can was less than a LR6.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Davidtay so much for this information. I will look into the BR30 and stop worrying about Lumens. Maybe I can put 9 spread around the room. What size can would I need?

• David
    10 years ago

That depends on your intended style - 4" if you want small holes for a more modern style. 6" IMO is saner - more room for large hands inside the can, probably cheaper and better spread.

• wws944
    10 years ago

I have one TCP PAR20 LED - 3000K, 450 lumens, and draws 9 watts. I think was about $20. Really nice light quality. I've always liked 3000K. Just too bad Cree/Home Depot didn't, and still doesn't, offer that color temp in the CR6. (Yes I know Cree has recently announced newer CR6s in other color temps. But too late for me.)

At some point, I'd like to change a bunch of my BR40s over to the TCP 3000K LED BR40s. They are in sloped ceiling cans, so can not use a CR6-like conversion. But those particular lights are not used enough to justify the upgrade just yet.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wws944, thank you so much for letting me know that you like the color temperature and the quality of this light. The price is good and it is 3,000K which is what I want. I wish Cree would come out with a PAR38 high lumens 3,000K color temperature that is not way over $100 per bulb kit. I like the 90 CRI of the Cree and the retrofit look but the TCP has an 85 CRI which is close and the price is so much less with the color bulb that I really want. I feel good when I am around 3,000K.