Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen_h_gw

Xenon versus halogen under cabinet lights?

jen_h
16 years ago

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on xenon under cabinet lights versus halogen under cabinet lights.

I know xenon lights don't get as hot and last much longer than halogen - but how is the color of the xenon light? Halogen light has such a pretty, warm glow...but I always hated how hot they got. Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for any thoughts you can share!

Comments (14)

• lavenderblues
    16 years ago

He hasn't done them yet, (my cabinets are just being installed), but my Electrician is putting in Xenons under the cabinets.

He seems to use top-grade materials everyplace else, so I'll assume that these, too, are the lighting of choice for some reason or another.

If I can add a question to your post please, I'd also like to know if it's preferred that the under cabinet Xenons are on a dimmer, or is that necessary?

• svwillow1
    16 years ago

We used Xenon line voltage under cabinet fixtures from Pegasus Lighting. We also have halogen recessed and pendant lights. I don't notice, much if any, difference in the color between the too, we find both to be pleasing. As to dimmers, our fixtures each have high/low/off switchs. With these, we have not felt the need for a dimmer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pegasus Lighting

• native_tx
    16 years ago

Since xenon and halogen are both incandescent light sources, both will produce the same color light and will show accurate color rendition (CRI of 100).

Xenon fixtures are a newer product than halogen and the bulbs are advertised to operate at lower temperatures than halogen, but they still produce a lot of heat relative to fluorescents.

I recently installed xenon fixtures inside glass-front cabinets and they are way too hot. (Lighting store recommended them.) After talking with the fixture manufacturer, who does not recommend them for an enclosed space, looks like I will have to replace them with fluorescent or another type of low-heat, low wattage fixtures, before I set something on fire!

So, you will be fine with xenon undercabinet fixtures, unless you want to avoid adding a significant heat source in your kitchen. Otherwise, you should go with fluorescent for good task lighting on your counters.

• DavidR
    16 years ago

Difference in heat output and efficiency is small. Friends of ours had their choco chips melt from their incandescent undercabinet lights. The heat also degrades spices stored there. I suggest fluorescent - they produce much less heat.

• jen_h
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

I'm going to go xenon, as the bulbs seem to light a little more of the surface area of the backsplash and counter top, and my continued research still claims they are slightly less 'toasty' than halogens.

lavenderblues: we're putting ours on dimmers, as ours will be hardwired and I like the 'soft' effect of dimming the under cabinet lights for ambiance.

Here's a design note I found on xenons:

Here is a link that might be useful: NY Times design Q&A

• deegw
    16 years ago

jen h - Thanks for the great link!

• pegasus_2008
    16 years ago

The link has changed for this post:
    Posted by svwillow1 (My Page) on Fri, Aug 10, 07 at 9:22

We used Xenon line voltage under cabinet fixtures from Pegasus Lighting. We also have halogen recessed and pendant lights. I don't notice, much if any, difference in the color between the too, we find both to be pleasing. As to dimmers, our fixtures each have high/low/off switchs. With these, we have not felt the need for a dimmer.

• ereed
    16 years ago

I bought the xenon from lowes, they are slightly cooler than halogens. Here is a pic of my undercabinet lights with utilitec from lowes and they are spaced 20 inches apart.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Arizona Owner
    8 years ago

We have Xenon bulbs in our under cabinet kitchen lights and they DO get hot. In fact, I have to keep them turned low to avoid them getting too warm. I can't place medicines, herbs or spices in those cabinets.

• acoustic58
    7 years ago

Just had Xenon lights installed. Beautiful warm light tone and according to my electrician who uses the same bulb, did not have to replace it in the last 4 years with steady use. My only concern is what is this heat doing to my new cabinets from the heat. Something about installing something that gets hot directly on wood seems like a bad combination. Any thoughts?

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Acoustic,

Why not LED lights as Under cabinets rather than Xenon? LEDs are cheaper, cooler and have a variety of color options. They are also much more energy efficient.

• acoustic58
    7 years ago

Homepro. I went with what the my electrician recommended. He uses Xenon lights in his kitchen and in 4 years has never had to replace a bulb. What he really likes is the warm color temperature that these lights give off and he installs these into most new homes that are valued well over a mil. His opinion, and it's just his opinion, is that LED lights will burn cooler but they do not give off that warm light temperature that most people want. Someone else commented that they use Xenon lights under their cabinets and have them on basically 24/7 and in 14 years have never had to replace a bulb. For me it's all about color temp. Thank you for your thoughts.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

I used xenon 8 years ago because the LEDs that were available were all blue white at the time. The xenon may not be as hot as halogen, but they are hot and I plan to replace mine at some point.