Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizziebethtx

Need advice on how to light staircase

lizziebethtx
12 years ago

Hello everyone:

I hang out at the kitchen / decorating forums and didn't realize there is a forum strictly for lighting. I'm so glad I found it. I am in a 2 story house for the first time. We have an interior staircase to the 2nd floor. It has walls on both sides and is a straight shot up (no landing). It has NO lighting. I would like to use sconces but it would be an expensive ordeal to get wiring into the walls so we are going to have to use a hanging light fixture. I have NO idea how low it should hang. It's obvious it must not hang too low..but is there a guide or standard for this? Is there a standard for size? I can imagine some fixtures would look too skimpy and I don't want that either. Also should it be centered within the area of the staircase? Currently it's a long dark tunnel and not safe at night. Any help or advice would truly be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• ledmodulelight.com
    12 years ago

Flexible LED Strip is a LED lighting product. Can be in white color or any other solid color, even can be millions color (RGB)
    The most remarkable feature of Flexible LED Strip www.ledmodulelight.com is it can be bend to fit any shape. Flexible LED Strip has a flexible PCB and the high brightness SMD LED and resistors on top of FPC. This product can be used in many applications as followed

Here is a link that might be useful: ledmodulelight.com

• lizziebethtx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you davidtay! What a great source for advice. I am not a fan of LED light strips, but thanks for the suggestions.

• David
    12 years ago

Having a hanging light could be nice, but changing bulbs could entail balancing on a tall ladder.

Have you considered the possibility of cove lighting or wall washing lights?