Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elaine_reno

3 Questions on Kitchen Lighting Plan

elaine_reno
14 years ago

I would appreciate everyone's advice on these 3 questions about my kitchen lighting plan. I can't see how to post an image of the plan, which would make this much easier.

The kitchen is 19.5 by 13.5 feet, with a 12 foot wide window above a long counter. I plan to put 4" line voltage recessed cans with mini-floods in a rectangle to light the counters and work areas, as well as under-counter lights and a hanging light over the table.

1. To light the counter in front of the long window, should I put the recessed cans right over the counter, perhaps 18" away from the wall, or further out past the edge of the counter?

2. On the other side of the kitchen is a long run of cabinets which are 6' of counter and regular upper cabinets, and then 6' of fridge, built in oven and pantry. How far away from the back wall should I put the recessed cans, 3 feet? I've read here that 4" cans should be 4' apart. Does that rule hold for kitchens too?

3. Any recommendations to light the island which has a skylight directly over most of it? Do you think I could put recessed cans on the opposite ends of the sloped sides of the skylight box, which would point down to the island surface?

Thanks,

Elaine

Comments (2)