Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do I need reflector bulbs in a can with reflecting trim?

Posted by SeeBuyFly (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 21:54

A number of people (esp. in the Kitchens forum) report using recessed cans with Alzak trim and reflector bulbs.

Perhaps I am missing something, but what's the point? Won't the pricy alzak trim do the same job as the reflector in the bulb, allowing me to use cheaper (e.g. spiral CFL) bulbs?

Specifically, I have ordered Juno 27WHZ-WH tapered cone trims (wheat alzak) for the 6" medium-base cans that are being put in. This should 'capture' the light from a naked bulb, right?

Many thanks,

Many thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do I need reflector bulbs in a can with reflecting trim?

The trim does not reflect all the emitted light from the bulb out of the can. The physical characteristics of recessed cans make it such that there will always be trapped light when a bulb is inside a can.

I have screw in CFLs in some cans with reflective trim and the light output is never enough or very good.

On the other hand, LED modules such as the CR6/ LR6 and RT6 perform much better - lesser conical lighting effect, more light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here