Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with recessing lighting - placement & number

Posted by adh673 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 21:20

Can someone help me with recessed lighting for my kitchen?

All I know is that someone told me not to have them within a foot of the counter or else I wil get shadows while working in the kitchen. I dont even know if that is true!

I plan to have two chandeliers or pendants at the island. I will also have undercounter lights.

I want to have enough lighting for sure but not go overkill as I think they are costing around 300/can.

HEre is my layout:
Photobucket

In GENERAL the kitchen is 22 by 12.

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with recessing lighting - placement & number

You may require ~ 12 x 6" cans spread out in some regular pattern taking into consideration the exact placement of the pendants/ chandeliers.

I would consider the under cabinet lights separately from the main lighting.

I hope you're getting LED cans if you're paying 300/ can.

o

Wow, 12? Even with the two pendants? I was thinking 8 but I have no experience.

I dont know what kind they are- do I want LED?

o

I base the count off 35 lumen/ sq ft. Light per can ~ 600 lumens. I was pleasantly surprised by the LR6 - the first LED lamp that actually worked for me.

I don't run my lights at full intensity most of the time.

Cree LR 6 or CR6. Lamp costs ~ $80. Total material cost <$100.

Look at http://www.polar-ray.com.

o

The problem is the recessed lights. They're fashionable (have been for quite a few years now), but they tend to create shadows and require many, many units to even approach even lighting.

Simple, inexpensive surface mounted or hanging lights may seem old fashioned. You don't seem them in the glossy magazines very often, except maybe the pricey period reproduction fixtures. However, because they provide indirect illumination reflecting from the ceiling and walls, they give more even light with far fewer units.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here