Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gap between pier and post mount light

Posted by drmeow3 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 21:17

Hi all,

I have a post mount light on a brick pier. I just replaced the light and the new light has a slightly shallower base than the old one. As a result, there is a gap between the top of the pier and the bottom of the lamp (click on the picture to see a bigger copy):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm trying to figure out a way to fill in the gap (right now it's about 1/4" - it can be made bigger by lifting up the lamp a bit if there is an option for filling a larger space).

I was going to fill in the space with with a siliconized acrylic caulk and paint it but ... honestly I find caulk to be a bit of a pain to work with in a situation like this and it seems like a bit large of an area to fill with caulk (1/4" high, 3/8" deep, about 11" around). I'm also not sure how much of a pain it would make removing the light at a later date.

I thought about putting a post mount adapter there but I suspect the post mount is a bit tall and the adapter would have a huge gap, too.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fill in the space?

I've cross-posted this on the home repair forum, too.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gap between pier and post mount light

That IS kind of annoying. It's also a great place for yellowjackets to move in.

Could you use a hacksaw to shorten the top of the existing mount? Just be careful of the wiring. Maybe wrap it with a few layers of duct tape before starting.

o

YIPES - I hadn't even thought of yellowjackets! Shudder!

Someone at the home repair forum suggested cutting the top of the existing mount but I wasn't sure how ... duh, a hacksaw. I actually knew that. I guess I could try it but the existing mount seemed pretty thick. And, of course, now that it's attached, my motivation to lift it back off is really low, especially since unless I get up a lot earlier than I can usually manage (i.e., at 5 or 6 am), the temp ranges from 90 - 108! The thought of standing out in the heat sawing away with a hacksaw makes me think "There's got to be a better way!"

At the home repair forum someone recommended that I put backer rod in the gap first then cover it with caulk. Since the existing mount pretty effectively supports the weight of the lamp :), I don't need to put anything there which provides support so I think I might try this option. Or maybe I'll do it temporarily till the weather cools then try the hacksaw route.

o

Whacking the top off of it would go a lot quicker and easier with a Sawzall or equivalent. Makes a nice excuse to add one to the toolbox. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here